Home   Maidstone   Sport   Article

Forest Green Rovers 2 Maidstone United 2 match report

Teenager Harry Phipps scored on his first start as Maidstone drew from 2-0 down at Forest Green.

Rampant Rovers led at the break through Keanu Marsh-Brown after dominating the first half and doubled their advantage following a Kevin Lokko own goal.

But Phipps, handed his full debut in place of Stuart Lewis, pulled a goal back then Joe Pigott equalised before a superb block from Seth Twumasi denied Rovers a winner.

Harry Phipps scored on his full debut Picture: Andy Jones
Harry Phipps scored on his full debut Picture: Andy Jones

The visitors, who clinched National League safety on Easter Monday, were up against their former player, Kaiyne Woolery, who’s on loan from Championship club Wigan.

He featured heavily in the first half, be it setting up chances or going for goal himself as Forest Green dominated, with Liam Noble also looking influential.

Woolery was involved as Christian Doidge headed wide a glorious chance from Dale Bennett’s cross inside a minute.

With Stones struggling to get hold of the ball, Woolery, Charlie Cooper and Monty Menthe all tried their luck before the opener.

It came in the 10th minute with Woolery and Noble combining to feed Keanu Marsh-Brown who found the bottom corner with a nice strike from the edge of the box.

Woolery should have made it two after Lee Worgan parried from Noble, while the Stones captain did well to deny Doidge soon after.

Doidge missed again when well placed, Woolery wasted another good chance, while it took a superb challenge from Lokko to dendy Doidge at the end of the half.

Rovers were excellent going forward but had a mistake in them at the back, although Stones couldn’t take advantage.

Maidstone manager Jay Saunders Picture: Andy Jones
Maidstone manager Jay Saunders Picture: Andy Jones

Forest Green doubled their lead 10 minutes into the second half.

There was a touch of fortune in the build-up as Menthe’s pass somehow found its way through to Bennett, whose cross was turned in by Lokko for an own goal.

Maidstone were back in the game in the 61st minute, Phipps finishing the loose ball after keeper Sam Russell parried a cross from Twumasi.

Pigott went close soon after while with 20 minutes left Maidstone gave Jack Richards, back from a loan spell at Sevenoaks, his first taste of National League football.

Nice work by Bobby-Joe Taylor, jinking past two men on the edge of the box, set up Pigott again, his strike going just wide.

Rovers remained a threat, Lokko throwing himself in the way of Woolery’s strike and Noble hitting the bar from the rebound.

But Maidstone were level on 81 minutes, Reece Prestedge starting the move as United broke from their own half.

The ball reached Taylor who cut inside and saw his shot fumbled by Russell, with Pigott tucking away the loose ball.

Taylor was denied by Russell after Yemi Odubade squared, with Maidstone now going for an unlikely winner.

Rovers almost made it 3-2 in injury time but Twumasi made a magnificent block from Woolery.

Maidstone: Worgan, Twumasi, Mills, Okuonghae, Lokko, Phipps (Acheampong 90mins), Paxman (Richards 71mins), Prestedge, Odubade, Pigott, Flisher (Taylor 62mins). Subs not used: Coyle, Loza.

Attendance: 2,030 (280 Stones fans).

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More