Hakan Hayrettin is considering a move to bring striker Mo Bettamer back to Maidstone.
Bettamer, who had a loan spell at the Gallagher between January and February, is a free agent after leaving Aldershot.
Stones fans didn’t see the best of him - he failed to score in one start and four substitute appearances - but there were mitigating circumstances as he was returning from a lengthy injury lay-off.
Boss Hayrettin knows Bettamer can be an asset at National League level, having previously worked with him at Braintree, and is planning talks with the 29-year-old.
“Mo’s someone I’ve always liked,” said Hayrettin.
“He didn’t get the minutes he should have got when he came on loan, because the team was doing well, but he helped push others on in the time he was here.
“He was coming back from injury and his fitness levels weren’t what they should have been but he’s a good player, with a good football brain, and he’s someone I’ll be talking to in the next couple of days.
“I’ve spoken to hundreds of players, I’m constantly on the phone.
“I’m stringent in what I want and focused on getting the right ones.
“We haven’t got bucketloads of money but I’ll work the oracle, like I always do, and try and get the best players I can.
“Mo is someone I get on well with but whoever we sign has to be right for the club. Some players are asking for money they’re never going to get here, and that’s when you look elsewhere.”
Two more of this season’s loanees, Charlton duo Hady Ghandour and Johl Powell, could be back at the Gallagher.
Both players have been released by the Addicks.
Hayrettin says striker Ghandour “in principle, is one I’d like to take” and he wants to speak with midfielder Powell.
Ex-Stones forward Ibby Akanbi, who’s been released by Dagenham, is not on Hayrettin’s radar, however.
“He left under a cloud,” said the manager.
“There was a deal here for him last summer if he proved his fitness.
“We got him fit in pre-season and the next thing I knew he was gone without letting me know.
“I wish him all the best but he’s not someone I’ve spoken to. Why would I?”
Michael Phillips announced his departure from the Gallagher on Monday and is expected to join Barnet.
Hayrettin had decided against automatically taking up an option on the former Crystal Palace midfielder.
He indicated what would be on offer after sitting down for talks but Phillips can earn more elsewhere.
“I wasn’t 100% sure about Phillips if I’m totally honest, which is why I hadn’t re-engaged him,” said Hayrettin.
“I think he could have done a lot better, and I said that to him.
“He came here at a difficult time in his career, he had a few issues, I worked with him and the club worked with him and now he’s decided to move on.
“I wanted to have a chat with him and see what his thoughts were. I said to him if I’m going to offer you something it would be around this figure.
“He’s got a better offer and decided to move on. It’s a good opportunity for him and I wish him all the best. I’d have kept him if he’d accepted the offer.
“We have a budget, we have to keep to that budget, I can’t give people something I haven’t got.
“There’s lads I want to keep from last year and others I’m trying to bring in. It’s not plain sailing but I’m happy with where we’re at and we’ll get there eventually.
“Sometimes things come down to finances, sometimes it’s your individual negotiating experience that comes into play.”