Home   Maidstone   Sport   Article

Maidstone United 0-1 Dartford match report: Holders beaten in Kent Senior Cup

Dartford got the better of Maidstone at the fourth attempt to knock the holders out of the Kent Senior Cup.

Ky Marsh-Brown’s magnificent first-half strike saw them beat a home side who had defender Lewis Knight sent off for a second yellow card before the break.

Maidstone United head of football John Still Picture: Andy Jones
Maidstone United head of football John Still Picture: Andy Jones

After two draws and a Stones win in three previous league and FA Trophy meetings this season, it was Dartford’s night in the second-round tie at the Gallagher.

Maidstone made only two changes to the side beaten at St Albans on Saturday with a first start for new signing Andre Boucaud in midfield, while under-23 player Ollie Freeman came in up top in a switch to 3-5-2.

Dartford, on the other hand, made use of their big squad by making nine changes from the weekend defeat at National South play-off rivals Slough.

Sanchez Ming and captain Josh Hill were the only players left in but the visitors were still strong with the likes of ex-Gills striker Liam Nash, Charlie Sheringham, Lee Noble, Ronnie Vint and Marsh-Brown among those to start.

Dartford had the best of the first half, seeing lots of the ball, with Marsh-Brown a threat on the left and Nash looking neat and tidy in possession, bringing others into play.

For the Stones, Dan Wishart thumped wide, Zihni Temelci’s deflected shot went over and Ibby Akanbi’s header cleared the bar.

At the other end, Sheringham put a good chance wide from Craig Braham-Barrett’s cross and Nash fired over before the opening goal on 32 minutes.

What a strike it was, too as Sam Blackman fed Marsh-Brown who bent a brilliant effort into the top corner from the corner of the area.

A bad-tempered end to the half saw George Elokobi booked for a scything challenge on Sheringham that led to a shoving match.

And the Stones were reduced to 10 men in added time when defender Knight was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Dartford should have extended their lead early in the second half but Sheringham overhit a lay-off to Nash that would have left him with a simple finish.

Keeper Chris Lewington’s diving header, a good 10 yards outside his area, snuffed out another good chance for the visitors and moments later he got down well to his right to deny Nash.

Maidstone’s 10 men kept going, Temelci unable to get his shot away when well-placed, while Boucaud's terrific injury-time drive was touched on to the bar by Mark Smith.

Maidstone: Lewington, Knight, Elokobi, Marshall, Hoyte, Boucaud, Temelci, Khan, Wishart, Akanbi (Gilbert 89mins), Freeman (Tingley 46mins, Lillis 65mins). Subs not used: Ribbins, Kamdjo.

Dartford: Smith, Ming, Braham-Barrett, Noble (Anau 90mins), Hill, Vint, Onovwigun, Blackman, Sheringham (Barrington 78mins), Nash, Marsh-Brown. Subs not used: Bonner, Walsh, Wanadio.

Attendance: 337.

Read more: The latest sports news in Kent

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More