Home   Maidstone   Sport   Article

Hungerford Town 1 Maidstone United 3 match report

Maidstone’s season is up and running after coming from a goal down to win at Hungerford.

Dan Wishart equalised on his first start of the campaign, Nana Kyei’s penalty put United 2-1 up and substitute Clovis Kamdjo marked his debut with the clincher.

Another sub, Ibrahim Olutade, saw a late spot-kick saved as Maidstone missed out on a fourth.

Maidstone United head of football John Still Picture: John Westhrop
Maidstone United head of football John Still Picture: John Westhrop

Wishart was one of three changes to the side who lost at Welling on Tuesday night, replacing Justin Amaluzor (hamstring).

Noah Chesmain came in for Luke Pennell (shoulder) while Ibby Akanbi took over from Jonny Edwards (thigh) up front.

United started brightly, bossing possession and threatening through Chesmain’s 25-yard drive after space opened up for a shot.

Hungerford settled into the game and capitalised on a mistake in midfield by Kyei to open the scoring in the 27th minute.

The Stones winger lost possession to Liam Ferdinand, who sent James Constable in behind for a smart finish.

Maidstone levelled five minutes before half-time with Gavin Hoyte’s cross headed home by Wishart.

Hungerford, now playing with the wind, had a couple of chances early in the second half, Ryan Johnson blocking Joe Tomlinson’s strike and Jake Cole getting behind James Rusby’s 20-yard half-volley.

Cole came to the rescue after Johnson allowed the ball to bounce, sending Constable in on goal.

But United went close when Kyei hit the bar with a lovely strike from 25 yards.

The same man forced a good save moments later and was then tripped by Josiah Dunstan in the aftermath with referee Marc Whaley awarding the penalty.

Kyei stepped up and coolly sent Siviter the wrong way from the spot to put United 2-1 up in the 66th minute.

Cole made a superb low save to deny Hungerford substitute Zidan Akers, the ball hitting the post and going out for a corner.

Maidstone scrambled the corner clear and extended their lead in the 73rd minute.

Wishart, with little room to work with, did well to get the ball across goal and substitute Kamdjo stabbed home.

Maidstone had the chance to make it four when Olutade was fouled by Marcus Johnson-Schuster in the box.

Olutade took the kick but Siviter made a comfortable save to his right.

Maidstone: Cole, Hoyte, Johnson, Elokobi, Chesmain, Khan, Corne, Kyei, Allen (Kamdjo 63mins), Wishart, Akanbi (Olutade 84mins). Subs not used: Gilbert, Divine, Lewington.

Attendance: 436.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More