Home   Maidstone   Sport   Article

Maidstone United 4 Worthing 0 match report: Levi Amantchi (2), Sol Wanjau-Smith and Razzaq Coleman De-Graft on target in big home win

Maidstone enjoyed their biggest win of the season in National League South with a destruction of a high-flying Worthing.

Sol Wanjau-Smith opened the scoring and strike partner Levi Amantchi struck twice before substitute Razzaq Coleman De-Graft added a late fourth.

Maidstone United manager George Elokobi. Picture: Steve Terrell
Maidstone United manager George Elokobi. Picture: Steve Terrell

The Rebels arrived at the Gallagher in second place but were put to the sword as United moved into the play-off places.

Conor Kelly came in for Perri Iandolo in the only change from Maidstone’s FA Cup victory at Steyning Town last weekend.

Former Maidstone winger Joan Luque was named in the visitors’ starting XI on his return.

Worthing like to pass the ball but were largely restricted to knocking it about in their own half by a hard-working home side.

It was possession for the sake of it while, on the other hand, Maidstone knew there was more than one way to skin a cat.

They showed that with the opening goal in the 15th minute, as Wanjau-Smith latched on to Amantchi’s flick from a long ball and finished confidently for his fifth goal in three games and sixth of the season.

That was Maidstone’s first chance of the game and they scored again from their second, doubling their lead in the 31st minute.

Keeper Roco Rees was at fault, flapping at the ball after Maidstone won the first header from Kelly’s inswinging corner, leaving Amantchi to nod home.

Rees was convinced he’d been fouled, picking up a yellow card for his protests, but the goal stood as Amantchi joined his fellow striker on six goals for the campaign.

Worthing struggled to create anything of note in the first half.

Aarran Racine’s ambitious near-post flick from a corner came to nothing while Danny Cashman, stretching to reach Joel Colbran’s deep cross, barely tested Lucas Covolan.

Amantchi hit the side-netting early in the second half after Wanjau-Smith and Lamar Reynolds linked in the box.

Seconds later, Wanjau-Smith prodded wide in the six-yard box after Chi Ezennolim forced a corner.

Maidstone were looking good and extended their lead in the 55th minute with Amantchi’s second of the afternoon and seventh of the campaign.

He controlled Reynolds’ cross to the far post and crashed home on the half-volley.

That stirred the Worthing bench into action, with Luque withdrawn as part of a double change.

The Rebels’ afternoon went from bad to worse just past the hour mark when Odei Martin Sorondo was sent off after picking up two yellow cards - both for dissent - in the space of a minute.

Covolan made straightforward saves from substitute Jake Robinson and Nicky Wheeler as Worthing attempted to rally from three goals down.

That was never going to happen, though, and they conceded again in the 89th minute with a lovely run and thumping finish from Stones substitute Coleman De-Graft.

Maidstone: Covolan, Brown, Fowler, Bone, Reynolds, Kelly, Gurung (Kyprianou 78mins), Aransibia, Ezennolim, Amantchi (Coleman De-Graft 81mins), Wanjau-Smith (Obi 71mins). Subs not used: Earle, Iandolo.

Worthing: Rees, Colbran, Racine, Rye, Pearce (Pearce 63mins), Wheeler, Sorondo, Luque (Robinson 57mins), Felix, Aguiar, Cashman (Luer 57mins). Subs not used: Woodhouse, Smith.

Referee: Oliver Mackey.

Attendance: 2,243.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More