Home   Maidstone   Sport   Article

Tranmere Rovers 4 Maidstone United 0 match report

It’s back-to-back 4-0 defeats for Maidstone as their proud away run ended at Tranmere.

United, beaten heavily at home by Boreham Wood in the week, were going for their eighth away win in a row at Prenton Park.

But they were soon two goals down and conceded another two late on as Rovers comfortably took the points.

Maidstone manager Jay Saunders Picture: Andy Jones
Maidstone manager Jay Saunders Picture: Andy Jones

Tranmere had the huge Kop stand on their feet when they took the lead in just the eighth minute.

It came after United broke down in midfield with Rovers breaking through Eddie Clarke whose cross was tucked away by James Norwood at the near post.

Rovers should have had a second soon after, Lee Worgan with a terrific save from Andy Cook, who could only hit the side-netting with the follow-up.

Shortly after, in the 18th minute, it was 2-0.

Rovers attacked down the left once again with Norwood finding Cook who beat Alex Finney too easily and finished.

Tranmere were the better side, looking good on the ball and seeing more of it, but Maidstone were lively in attack at times and had a few big chances to get back into the game.

The first came when Delano Sam-Yorke beat two men out wide and squared for Joe Pigott, who sidefooted wide.

Pigott’s lovely pass then split the defence and set up Zavon Hines unmarked but the Stones forward could only hit Scott Davies’ legs.

And late in the half, United’s front three combined again with Hines and Pigott linking outside the box to play in Sam-Yorke but Davies made the save.

Tranmere, though, might have added a third before half-time with Worgan denying Connor Jennings after a long spell of possession.

Rovers looked fairly comfortable at the start of the second half but Maidstone tried to go for it with the introduction of Jamar Loza for Reece Prestedge.

More of the game was briefly played in Tranmere territory but without the chances to match, Pigott’s 30-yard free-kick harmlessly wide on the hour.

Loza and Hines linked nicely in the final 20 minutes, the ball eventually falling to Stuart Lewis, whose shot was blocked, with Jai Reason’s follow-up wide.

Ollie Banks fired over before Tranmere added their third in the 78th minute.

Worgan got reasonable distance on his punch after coming for a cross but the ball ended up with Ollie Norburn who thumped home.

With the points in the bag, Worgan made a superb save from Adam Buxton’s deflected blockbuster from 25 yards.

Tranmere had their fourth in the 84th minute, Worgan parrying a strike from distance and Norwood following in to add his second.

Maidstone: Worgan, Twumasi, Anderson, Okuonghae, Finney, Lewis, Prestedge (Loza 54mins), Reason, Sam-Yorke, Pigott, Hines (Wraight 81mins). Subs not used: Phipps, ter Horst, Richards.

Attendance: 4,126 (191 away).

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More