Published: 00:01, 09 May 2017
A 12-year-old boy found his dad's lifeless body after he had taken an overdose, an inquest heard.
Ceiling fixer Alan Golden was discovered in bed, at the home he shared with son Alfie in Simpson Road, Snodland.
Paramedics were called but the 47-year-old was declared dead at the scene on January 16.
Police investigating his death found a number of empty blister packets of medication and cans of lager.
There was also a suicide note addressed to family, and a message left on Facebook which indicated he was upset about something.
Officers did not find anything suspicious or evidence that anyone else had been involved.
An inquest into his death, at Archbishop’s Palace in Maidstone, heard the father-of-three had a long history of mental health difficulties and problems with drugs and alcohol.
Mr Golden, who had depression and a personality disorder, first started drinking when he was aged 12 and had also turned to substances including speed, cocaine and crystal meth.
But after a suicide attempt in 2011 he had made efforts to quit, and spent time at the Kenward Trust in Yalding.
The coroner heard Mr Golden had split from his partner in December and taken the break-up extremely badly.
It was a particularly difficult time as it coincided with the anniversary of his father’s death, the coroner said.
Mr Golden missed an appointment with a member of Kent County Council’s mental health team three days before his death, and when they called he was not taking his medication as prescribed and was feeling low.
But the inquest heard he had been making plans for his future, and was keen to provide for his son.
Assistant coroner Scott Matthewson concluded Mr Golden had committed suicide.
If you would like confidential support on an emotional issue, call Samaritans free on 116 123.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.