Published: 06:00, 11 August 2019
A 19th century pub is to be sold five months after demolition work began at a neighbouring boozer.
Owner Admiral Taverns announced this week it has “reviewed its options” for The Westcourt Arms, Canterbury Street, Gillingham, and will now “add it to the market”.
There have not been any planning applications in relation to the venue so it is unclear whether it will reopen in future.
The Westcourt had been serving punters for 131 years when last orders were called last month, with landlady of four years Lisa Barnes challenging regulars to “drink the pub dry”.
The drinking hole opened in 1888 and its beer cellar is intriguingly accessed via a tunnel under the road.
Demolition work at the instantly recognisable Beacon Tavern, which is just 0.2 miles away, began in March, with flats set to replace the popular gig venue.
The Fleur De Lis in Gillingham Road, is still trading.
More by this authorEd McConnell