Home   Medway   News   Article

Convicted robber Samuel Wells jailed for carjacking in Chatham that led to police chase across London

A convicted robber who had been out of prison for just a day has been jailed for a carjacking in Chatham which resulted in a police chase across London.

Homeless Samuel Wells went on a drinking binge after being released from prison on September 4.

With nowhere to go, he began the day in Brighton but ended up in Chatham after taking up an offer from an acquaintance to put him up for a couple of nights.

The road where Samuel Wells crashed in Lewisham
The road where Samuel Wells crashed in Lewisham

Woolwich Crown Court, where he was jailed for 39 months, heard that just after 11pm a man who was driving along New Road had to stop at traffic lights.

Wells, who appeared drunk and unstable on his feet, gestured to him to wind down his window.

He asked for directions to the railway station before getting in the passenger side of the car and the victim agreed to drop him off.

As they pulled up, Wells would not get out of the car and made a grab for the keys.

He then told the man: "This is the worst night of your life," and went to take something out of his waistband which looked as though it could be a knife.

He said: "I'm going to sit in the driver's seat, you are going to get in the passenger seat, don't make a noise, don't make a fuss or I'm going to hurt you."

When the man got out of the car and began shouting for help at a nearby pub, Wells used the opportunity to drive off in the vehicle.

Police tracked the car using automatic number plate recognition cameras (ANPR) into south-east London before Wells crashed the car into railings in Lewisham.

He admitted robbery, aggravated vehicle taking, driving while disqualified, driving a motor vehicle when alcohol level above limit, using a motor vehicle without a licence or insurance.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More