Home   Medway   News   Article

Elderly woman fled from her home in Rochester high Street when her electric blanket caught fire

An elderly woman had to flee from her home after her electric blanket caught fire.

Firefighters were called to La Providence in Rochester High Street at around 11.45pm.

When they arrived the woman had managed to get out of her home. Residents had attempted to put the fire out, but the mattress was still smouldering.

An electric blanket. Library image
An electric blanket. Library image

One of the crew attending said: "Luckily everybody was fine. The woman escaped quickly so did not need to be treated for smoke inhalation.

"We got the mattress out and ventilated the property."

Firefighters left the street at 12.30am.

The French Hospital used to be a charity for poor Huguenot refugees and is now 60 sheltered homed for the elderly.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More