Home   Medway   News   Article

Firefighters called to Mill Road, Gillingham, after residents fell asleep while cooking

Firefighters rescued two people from a smoke-filled flat after they fell asleep leaving food cooking on the stove.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service received a 999 call reporting smoke billowing from the window of the building in Mill Road, Gillingham at around 7.35pm last night.

Firefighters from Rochester and Medway used a 13.5m ladder to reach a balcony while a breathing apparatus team forced entry into the property.

Firefighters in action. Stock image: Kent Fire and Rescue Service
Firefighters in action. Stock image: Kent Fire and Rescue Service

There they found the occupants had fallen asleep, leaving food cooking on the hob.

A man thought to be in his mid 40s and a woman in her mid 30s were walked to safety and given oxygen therapy by firefighters.

They were given precautionary checks by the ambulance service but did not need hospital treatment.

The burning pan was removed from the hob and a special fan used to clear smoke from the property.

Speaking after the fire, a spokesman from Rochester station said people should not leaving their cooking unattended as this can lead to house fires.

Over half of all the fires, KFRS attend start in the kitchen and the majority are caused by unattended cooking, a build up of grease and fat on the cooker, or where items have been left on the hob.

Their latest campaign hopes to reduce cooking fires. To find our more, visit www.kent.fire-uk.org

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More