Published: 00:01, 07 December 2018
The landlords of a fire-damaged pub face losing thousands of pounds of business as they have been forced to cancel Christmas bookings.
The Windmill in Hoo will remain closed after a blaze ripped through the roof last month.
Madaline and Andy , who only took over 10 weeks ago, were expecting a busy and prosperous yuletide at the pub on Ratcliffe Highway.
But instead they are still waiting for the electrics to be fixed before they can start pulling pints.
Landlady Madaline, 46, said: "We have had the assessors in so we can start putting the pub inside right, but we won’t be open by the end of this year.
"We had taken quite a few orders and had some big groups.
"Some have said they will be back in the New Year when we are up and running."
The fire broke out at the free house on the afternoon of Sunday, November 25 as customers were having drinks and meals.
It's not the best start... but at least nobody was injured" - Madaline Scoffield
A quick-thinking electrical engineer enjoying a family celebration rushed to the rescue averting what may have been a major disaster.
Grandad Gary Botten, 58, of Lordswood, inspected the fuse boxes which were hot and smelt of burning.
He then noticed smoke coming from the guttering and ordered everyone outside.
Madaline and Andy, 46, who are running the business with son Liam and his partner Tiff, are currently living in the bungalow next door.
Meanwhile, villagers have rallied round to offer support offering Calor gas heaters for warmth.
Madaline said: "It's not the best start. But at least nobody was injured."