Almost 3,000 children in Medway are due to hear if they have been accepted into their preferred secondary school.
More than half of them will receive the news electronically on Tuesday afternoon after applying online.
Offers of places for September will start landing on doormats of those who applied by post from Wednesday.
More than 380 Medway children - or 13 per cent - will be turned away for their first choice.
But this figure is an improvement on last year, when 16 per cent of pupils were not given their ideal places.
Medway Council said 98 per cent of pupils have been offered a place at one of their named secondary school preferences - a 0.5 per cent increase on last year.
It said it had to find places for 2,964 children from Medway this year - as well as more than 300 who live outside the Towns.
Parents were able to apply on paper or online, with more than 58 per cent of families using the internet.
Cllr Les Wicks, portfolio holder for children's services, said: "Arranging for your child to make the leap from primary to secondary is one of the pivotal moments of family life and I realise it can be a stressful time for those awaiting the news.
"I am pleased to see that so many children have been allocated their preference and wish them all the best in their future studies."
Parents in Medway can select up to six preferred schools. The council said every child will receive the offer of a place at a school.
Parents who are unhappy with their selection are able to ask to go on waiting lists or lodge an appeal.