Home   Medway   News   Article

Keep your chimney clean says fire service after blaze in Medway

Keep your chimney swept. That’s the message from the fire service after crews were called to a house in Strood last night.

Fire engine stock
Fire engine stock

Firefighters from Strood were called out to deal with the fire at a home in Woodside Road at about 9pm.

The crew spent about an hour and half at the property using specialist equipment to put out the flames, and they managed to contain the fire in the chimney breast.

A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue Service, said: "We’d like to remind people who have open fires to make sure they are swept on a regular basis.

"Homeowners should also only used season logs as unseasoned ones leave a lot of soot and resin on the chimney breast.

"This builds up and eventually catches alight."

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More