Home   Medway   News   Article

Crews tackle kitchen fire in Gordon Road, Rochester

Fire crews who tackled a kitchen blaze at a property in Rochester say the fire started in a chip pan.

Two fire engines were sent to Gordon Road just after 3am today where crews spent an hour putting out the ground floor blaze.

Crews were called to Gordon Road this morning. Stock photo
Crews were called to Gordon Road this morning. Stock photo

One person received treatment for burns before being passed into the care of South East Coast Ambulance paramedics.

Crews, wearing breathing apparatus, used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.

They believe it started accidentally when a chip pan was left unattended.

Following the incident, the fire service is reminding people to take extra care and avoid using an open chip pan as hot oil can overheat and ignite very easily.

The advice for fires involving oil is to never attempt to put it out with water.

Instead, turn off the heat if it is safe to do so, get out of the property, close the doors behind you, and call 999.

Read more: All the latest news from Medway

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More