Home   Medway   News   Article

Boy hailed a hero after discovering kitchen fire after linen basket left on cooker at home in Yantlet Drive, Strood

A primary school pupil averted disaster after discovering a fire in the kitchen at his home.

Jack Gove was at home when he heard a crackling sound coming from the kitchen at home in Yantlet Drive, Strood.

Jack, a Cedar Primary School pupil, approached the kitchen door without opening it smelt smoke and then went outside to look through the kitchen window.

Jack Gove, aged 11, had been hailed a hero
Jack Gove, aged 11, had been hailed a hero

Jack, 11, then saw there were flames coming from inside the kitchen. He was able to raise the alarm with a neighbour who called 999. His mum Rae had been walking the family dog round the block.

Martin Simmons, Strood fire station watch manager, said: "He did all the right things.

"He kept the door closed and went outside and saw the flames through the window and raised the alarm and was able to get himself out of the property unharmed.

"Jack was very sensible and absolutely did all the right things, he should be praised for his actions."

The damaged cooker
The damaged cooker

The fire started after the cooker was accidentally switched on, setting light to a linen basket full of clothes left on the hob.

The flames spread to an extractor fan in the kitchen and caused a bit of smoke damage to the room.

Firefighters from the town were called shortly before 5pm yesterday.

The crew used breathing apparatus to enter the home to put out the flames and then used a thermal imaging camera to check the flames were fully out.

Firefighters left the scene after about 20 minutes.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More