Home   Medway   News   Article

Crews tackle fire in Windsor Court, Gillingham, after magnifying glass sparks blaze


More news, no ads

LEARN MORE

A magnifying glass has been blamed for causing a house fire which saw curtains go up in flames.

Firefighters spent more than an hour tackling the blaze in Gillingham today.

Crews were called to a house fire in Gillingham today. Stock image
Crews were called to a house fire in Gillingham today. Stock image

Two fire engines and the fire service's Volunteer Response Team were sent to Windsor Court at 8.14am.

Crews arrived to find flames coming from the property.

They wore breathing apparatus while putting out the fire, and it was safely extinguished by 9.27am.

One occupier was passed into the care of South East Coast Ambulance Service after breathing in smoke.

The fire is believed to have started accidentally after sunlight reflected onto curtains from a magnifying glass.

A Kent Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "Following the incident, everyone is being reminded to keep mirrors, magnifying objects and other items such as crystal and glass ornaments, away from windows and out of direct sunlight.

"Instead, place them in a shaded area where sunlight won’t reach it throughout the day."

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More