Home   Medway   News   Article

Man rescued from kitchen fire in Gillingham

A man was rescued from a kitchen fire in the early hours of the morning.

Fire and Rescue services were called to a fire in a home in Gordon Road, Gillingham at 2.45am.

Though other occupants had left the home, fire crews had to rescue one victim from the smoke filled house.

Crews rescue a man from a kitchen fire in Gordon Road, Gillingham
Crews rescue a man from a kitchen fire in Gordon Road, Gillingham

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.

An ambulance and Hazardous Area Response Team attended, to help the rescued man, who was showing signs of sickness due to smoke inhalation.

They also checked up on seven adults and four children who were at the scene and were likely to have been affected by the flames.

Luckily everyone was discharged on site. The cause of fire is believed to be accidental.

A high pressure fan was used to ventilate the house, and crews fitted smoke alarms at the property.

Following the incident, firefighters are urging people the public to be extra careful in the kitchen and to never leave cooking unattended.

Crews also urge the public ensure their property always has fitted working smoke alarms on each floor and to test them weekly to ensure they are working fully.

Read more: All the latest news from Medway

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More