Home   Medway   News   Article

Kaylli Stephens, Ibrahiem and Mohammed Rahim and Krystian Basciuk jailed for attack on Perry Mulholland in Chatham

Four thugs have been locked up for a savage attack on a teenager who was run down with a car and repeatedly stabbed.

Kaylli Stephens, brothers Ibrahiem and Mohammed Rahim and Krystian Basciuk, all from Chatham, were cleared of attempted murder in December but convicted of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

The brothers and Basciuk had denied both charges, but were convicted of the alternative charge. 

Kaylli Stephens. Picture: Kent Police
Kaylli Stephens. Picture: Kent Police

Stephens denied attempted murder but admitted the grievous bodily harm charge after the trial started.

Stephens was jailed for nine years and 10 months under an extended sentence for public protection.

He will have to serve two thirds before being considered for release and will then be on licence for a further four years.

Ibrahiem Rahim was sentenced to nine-and-a-half years youth custody, Mohammed Rahim to nine years imprisonment and Polish-born Basciuk to seven-and-a-half years youth custody.

Judge David Griffith-Jones QC had described the jury’s task as “gruesome”.

Mohammed Rahim. Picture: Kent Police
Mohammed Rahim. Picture: Kent Police

Stephens admitted he stabbed 16-year-old Perry Mulholland “to show him a lesson” and claimed he stopped when he realised he had gone too far.

Maidstone Crown Court heard a long running feud over a girl boiled over into the violence.

Ibrahiem Rahim, 19, Mohammed Rahim, 22, both of Cobden Road, Basciuk, 20, of Albany Road, and Stephens, 19, of Herman Terrace, all Chatham, left Perry, now 17, fighting for his life.

“During the course of the attack concerted efforts were made to kill him - first by driving two motor vehicles at him and then by one of the defendants getting out of one of the vehicles, chasing him up the road and stabbing him repeatedly,” said prosecutor Simon Taylor.

Stephens, then 18, shoved Perry in Upbury Way and knifed him from behind in the back, legs and on the inside of both arms.

Ibrahiem Rahim. Picture: Kent Police
Ibrahiem Rahim. Picture: Kent Police

He was living in sheltered accommodation at Regent House in Chatham High Street and his parents Linda and Anthony Mulholland lived nearby.

Perry was friends with the four until about two years before he was attacked on December 9 last year. They had all attended St John Fisher secondary school.

Mr Taylor said there was “significant animosity” after he fell out with them over a girl. There were other incidents leading up to the final violence.

In August 2015, Ibrahiem, known as Mo, Mohammed Rahim and Stephens went to Perry’s family home. There was a confrontation and Ibrahim Rahim lifted his jumper to show he had a knife.

There was a fight and the three were chased away by Perry’s mother. The next day, the two brothers returned and attacked Mr Mulholland in the street with a knuckle duster.

Krystian Basciuk. Picture: Kent Police
Krystian Basciuk. Picture: Kent Police

“It seems the feud simmered until it reached its culmination in early December 2016,” said Mr Taylor.

On December 8, Perry told his mother Mohammed Rahim had chased him and tried to stab him.

Mrs Mulholland phoned Rahim and warned him: “You dare touch my son, I’ll kill you.” He replied: “Your son is a dead man.”

“The Crown say that’s exactly what happened a few hours later,” said Mr Taylor.

“The defendants executed that threat.”

The next afternoon, Stephens waved a pair of surgical scissors at Mr Mulholland and shouted: “Your boy’s getting this tonight.”

The judge told jurors at the end of the trial: “Thank you for your diligence for applying yourselves to the somewhat gruesome task in this case.”

More by this author

This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More