Home   Medway   News   Article

Ye Arrow pub in Rochester has re-opened after Medway Council inspectors shut it down due to mouse infestation

One of Rochester’s most popular pubs was given permission to reopen today after hygiene inspectors shut it down because it was overrun with mice.

Food and safety officers closed Ye Arrow in Boley Hill on Friday because of “a widespread, active and uncontrolled mouse infestation throughout the premises”.

Ye Arrow pub in Boley Hill, Rochester
Ye Arrow pub in Boley Hill, Rochester

Droppings and a dead mouse were discovered in a ground floor store room near the kitchen where there was contaminated ready-to-eat food.

But after a hearing before Medway magistrates this morning, Medway Council issued a certificate allowing it to reopen for business.

A council spokesman said: “Officers revisited Ye Arrow following the court hearing and were satisfied that the business had taken prompt and effective action to deal with the health concerns.”

The sign left outside the pub
The sign left outside the pub

A notice posted outside the pub read “Ye Arrow closed for the weekend due to unforeseen circumstances”.

Mr Tim Watters, the owner, said yesterday: “We have had the pest control people in all over the weekend and hopefully we will be given the all-clear and re-open for the weekend.

“In the five-and-a-half years I have had the pub this is the first problem we have had.

“It’s a big old unit with shared storage space with the pub next door so they could have come in from several directions

“Droppings were found in a room we rarely use. It only takes a gap the size of a pen for them to get in.”

The sign on the pub door
The sign on the pub door

The adjoining Jolly Knight, also owned by Mr Watters, remained open for business as normal.

The notice came just three days after Pizza Plus Fried Chicken, in Gillingham High Street, was served a hygiene emergency prohibition order by Medway Magistrates' Court for similar issues.

The order, served to Kunaradnam Kunanathan, forced the fast food takeaway to close due to "an active and widespread infestation of mice and the presence of contaminated food and food packaging presented an imminent risk of injury to health".

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More