Home   Medway   News   Article

Inquest into death of Michael Iandolo, 55, of Railway Street, Gillingham

A father killed in a crash deliberately rode his motorbike into a hair salon, an inquest heard.

Michael Iandolo of Railway Street, Gillingham, had battled with mental health problems since 1983 and was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in 1997.

A witness walking his dogs at 5.40am on May 30 saw Mr Iandolo riding his motorbike along Napier Road at speed.

Michael Iandolo
Michael Iandolo

He wasn’t wearing a helmet or bike leathers and accelerated all the way along the road before crashing into Kirk Hairstyles in Gillingham Road.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The inquest was told the 55-year-old had been detained under the Mental Health Act a number of times after refusing to take his medication.

Mr Iandolo was admitted to Littlebrook Psychiatric Hospital in Dartford on February 28. While there, his health improved, and he was discharged on May 11 – three weeks before his death.

He refused to take oral medication but agreed to have injections every two weeks to treat his paranoid schizophrenia.

Dr Ndu Kwe, consultant psychiatrist at Littlebrook, told the inquest at Archbishop’s Palace in Maidstone, said: “When I first met him, he was not very well at all. I couldn’t understand what he was saying. He kept making conversation about things that were just not real.

“He didn’t want to be in hospital at all.”

With reference to his release, Dr Kwe said: “He was very well and was in a very positive state of mind.”

Mr Iandolo’s care coordinator, community mental health nurse Gavin Jackson, is reported to have said that when Mr Iandolo was released he had never seen him in better health.

Flowers left at Kirk Hairstyles, Gillingham Road, Gillingham, after Mr Iandolo died
Flowers left at Kirk Hairstyles, Gillingham Road, Gillingham, after Mr Iandolo died

Mr Jackson couldn’t get hold of Mr Iandolo on May 16, for a meeting, but Mr Iandolo did turn up for his medication the following day. He was due to have his next injection the day after he died.

Investigating officer DS Darryll Paulson said two videos and two songs were found on Mr Iandolo’s computer. One of the videos showed him travelling along country roads at speed on his motorbike, and the other was a recording of him talking about crashing into a wall.

Mr Iandolo was the grandson of Lord Haw-Haw, real name William Joyce, who broadcast Nazi propaganda during the Second World War.

Assistant coroner Katrina Hepburn recorded a conclusion of suicide.

If you would like confidential support on an emotional issue, call Samaritans free on 116 123.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More