Home   Medway   News   Article

Strood family pay tribute to much loved son who died after leaving Lordswood party on freezing night

A grieving family has paid tribute to a much-loved son and brother, who died after leaving a party on a freezing night.

Christopher Cooke was found unconscious in Kingfisher Drive, Chatham, on the morning of March 6 last year, having left a party in Lordswood Leisure Centre the previous night following an altercation.

Christopher Cooke died after being found unconscious in Kingfisher Drive, Chatham
Christopher Cooke died after being found unconscious in Kingfisher Drive, Chatham

An inquest at County Hall, Maidstone, heard how officers had attended the scene and attempted CPR before the 26-year-old, from Berber Road, Strood, was taken to Medway Maritime Hospital, where his core temperature was found to be "unsurvivable".

A post mortem had recorded the cause of death as hypothermia, and mixed drug and alcohol toxicity, while it was said that superficial injuries, such as scratches and bruises, did not contribute to his death.

Coroner James Dillon said it was not possible for the inquest to conclude his death was solely 'drug related', and instead recorded a narrative verdict, outlining the events of that night.

He recorded: "Christopher Robert Cooke died at Medway Maritime Hospital. He had been found cold and partly clothed outdoors in the early hours of the morning after having been involved in an altercation, during which he had sustained some superficial injuries.

"He had consumed some alcohol and illicit drugs, and being partly clothed had developed hypothermia from which, despite medical intervention, he did not recover."

The inquest was held at County Hall, Maidstone
The inquest was held at County Hall, Maidstone

Earlier in the inquest a police report stated an investigation had found Christopher had knocked on a door in nearby Spitfire Close, and had been taken in by home-owners.

They had given him a blanket and offered him the use of a phone, but he had reportedly left the home some time afterwards. That night was said to have been "exceptionally cold", and Mr Cooke had been seen on doorbell footage at 2.55am and 3.18am, before he was reported lying in the road at 5.02am.

Friends described Christopher, who worked as a groundworker, as a "loveable rogue" – while Dad Gary Cooke said his son was loved and respected by family, friends and colleagues.

"It's ripped my life apart," he said. "He'd always be there if you asked for help. He wasn't a bad lad. He had no record or anything. Anybody he worked with said he was a grafter.

"He was a single young lad and a good looking boy – he loved his friends. He was as fit as a butchers dog."

He also said the family hosting the party which Christopher had left, had his "greatest respect".

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More