Home   Medway   News   Article

Robert Alderman denies stamping on victim Paul Scott's leg during late-night row in Gillingham

Robert Alderman at Maidstone Crown Court
Robert Alderman at Maidstone Crown Court

A man accused of killing a dad-of-five has admitted he was not acting in self-defence when he punched him several times.

But Robert Alderman denied kicking Paul Scott or stamping on his leg during the late night incident in Gillingham that led to tragedy.

Asked what he thought about his behaviour towards Mr Scott now, the 22-year-old barman said: “I am disgusted about what I have done that night.”

Maidstone Crown Court has heard he attacked 43-year-old Mr Scott after he saw him damaging wing mirrors on vehicles.

Mr Scott, family and friends had been to Palm Cottage Social Club in Canterbury Street and Alderman had been at nearby Bliss nightclub.

Alderman is alleged to have punched, kicked and stamped on the 20-stone victim while he was on his knees after declaring: “I’m a boxer and a head case.”

He also demanded: “Say sorry and I will stop hitting you.”

Mr Scott, of Franklin Road, suffered fractures to his right leg which led to his death four days later from a pulmonary embolism – a blood clot in a main artery in the lung.

Alderman, of Canadian Avenue, Gillingham, denies murder and an alternative charge of manslaughter. He admits affray and assaulting Mr Scott’s brother Gary Chaplin.

Alderman said on the evening February 10 this year he went to a family party at a social club in Gillingham and arrived at Bliss at about 9.30pm.

Paul Scott died days after an attack by Robert Alderman
Paul Scott died days after an attack by Robert Alderman

During the evening he had two or three pints and two or three Jack Daniels and Coke. “I was maybe a bit more than just tipsy,” he told the jury of nine women and three men.

He left the club at about 11pm, he said, to go home to get some more money, but then decided against it because it was “taking too long”.

He saw a boy he knew and stopped for a chat and a cigarette. He started walking back to the club.

“I remember walking along Connaught Road and seeing three males to the left and two older males to my right,” he continued.

“The two males were doing something to a car, a Peugeot 206. As I walked past I looked over to see what they were doing. They said ‘What the eff you looking at?’

“I turned around and told them to shut up. There was no reason why they had to say that. I was minding my own business.

Paul Scott died four days after Gillingham fight
Paul Scott died four days after Gillingham fight

“They are coming towards me aggressively. The next thing I know I am backing off. I made a hit. As I was backing off I was telling them I was a professional boxer just so they wouldn’t start.

“I didn’t say I was a head case. I didn’t want a fight. I don’t have any boxing training.”

He admitted punching both brothers but denied any kicking or stamping.

The trial continues.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More