Home   Medway   News   Article

Murder suspect granted bail until he stands trial accused of killing paratrooper in High Street, Rochester

A murder suspect has been bailed until he goes on trial in December accused of killing a former paratrooper in Rochester.

The rare move followed legal submissions by defence barrister David Hislop QC at Maidstone Crown Court.

Luke Sullivan was stabbed to death in Rochester. Picture: Alice Sullivan
Luke Sullivan was stabbed to death in Rochester. Picture: Alice Sullivan

Dennis Jones, who appeared via prison video link, had earlier pleaded not guilty to murdering 31-year-old Luke Sullivan in Rochester High Street last November.

Mr Hislop QC for Jones, 36, of Rochester High Street, applied for bail pending the trial which is due to be heard at at the same court at the end of the year.

Senior judge David Griffith-Jones QC said he would take an exceptional course and granted Jones his freedom until the trial.

Jones was on bail for several months before being charged with murdering the Sheppey-born former Minster College pupil.

After he was charged, he was then remanded to prison.

Police cars and an ambulance were called to Rochester High Street at the time. Picture: Sally at Off The Wall Photography
Police cars and an ambulance were called to Rochester High Street at the time. Picture: Sally at Off The Wall Photography

But after legal submissions by Mr Hislop, the judge said Jones could now have bail on conditions including surrendering his passport and he will also have to wear an electronic tag.

A surety of £15,000 was also ordered.

He will also have to live at his home in Gillingham, stay indoors between 7pm and 7am and stay away from Rochester High Street.

Judge Griffith-Jones also ordered that Jones undergo an examination by a psychiatrist prior to the trial, which is expected to take up to 10 days.

Mr Sullivan, a father-of-two, moved from Sheppey to Rochester seven years before his death.

Luke Sullivan, was a father-of-two
Luke Sullivan, was a father-of-two

Jones is set to stand trial on Monday, December 7.

To read more of our in depth coverage of all of the major trials coming out of crown and magistrates' courts across the county, click here.

For information on how we can report on court proceedings, click here.


More by this author


This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More