Home   Medway   News   Article

Firefighters called to Church Street, Chatham after 999 call reported smoke

A concerned passer-by called 999 when they noticed smoke coming from a fast-food takeaway - but it was a false alarm.

When firefighters turned up to shop in Church Street, Chatham, they found the cause of the alert was simply smoke coming from the pizza oven inside

A crew was called to the premises, just off the High Street, at around 4.30am this morning.

Stock pic
Stock pic

A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue said: “The take-away was shut so it was just smoke still coming from the chimney from earlier on.

"We were able to see from outside that there was not a fire, so we did not have to gain entry.”

Firefighters were also called to a suspected arson in Strood at around 2am. A motorbike was alight in the car park behind St Nicholas Church.

The small bike, which had been there with a cycle lock on it for a couple of days, was almost completely destroyed.

The police have been informed.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More