Home   Medway   News   Article

Shoplifter kicked and headbutted police officers during arrest over various offences committed in Sheerness and Medway

An aggressive shoplifter kicked a police officer in the chest, headbutted another and bit a third on the arm as he was being arrested over various offences.

A court heard Paul Jarvis was often inebriated when he carried out crimes in Sheerness and Gillingham.

Paul Jarvis kicked back and hit and officer in the chest winding him and also headbutted another officer
Paul Jarvis kicked back and hit and officer in the chest winding him and also headbutted another officer

On one occasion he threatened a mother and her daughter who fled to a nearby dentist’s reception to get away from him.

In another incident, when he was being arrested, Jarvis started spitting in a police van and threatened officers that he had HIV and then bit an officer on the arm.

During another arrest he made a homophobic slur, before hitting two officers in the face.

Earlier this year, the 46-year-old admitted a total of 13 different charges and was remanded in custody in June.

Those offences were failing to surrender to court, five counts of assault on an emergency worker, two counts of threatening behaviour, criminal damage, three counts of shoplifting, and one assault.

Paul Jarvis appeared at Maidstone Magistrates' Court. Stock picture
Paul Jarvis appeared at Maidstone Magistrates' Court. Stock picture

Jarvis, who used to live in Sheerness, but is now of Nelson Road, Gillingham, appeared at Maidstone Magistrates’ Court via video link from prison on July 1, for sentencing.

However, the court heard, a pre-sentencing report which should have been carried out on him before the hearing, had not been completed as probation officers had not been able to get a video link booked in time.

Terry Knox, prosecuting, told the bench there were many offences to deal with.

He added: “He has not seen probation, he was on bail, but then re-offended and then the cases were adjourned until today, but probation had not done a report, they had difficulties with the video link.

“His record is that on conviction 31, in July 2021, he got an 18-month suspended sentence for a number of offences, so the offence on October 29, 2022, risks the suspended sentence being activated as he’s pleaded guilty to it.”

Mr Knox then went on to tell the bench about the incident that day in October when Jarvis assaulted PC Kieran Moore.

Paul Jarvis chased a woman and her daughter who sought refuge in a dentist's reception
Paul Jarvis chased a woman and her daughter who sought refuge in a dentist's reception

The prosecutor added: “This offence happened at his house in Sheerness he was intoxicated and was being arrested and he threatened the officer by saying if he touched his leg one more time…he then kicked back at the officer and hit him in the chest as the officer was kneeling down at the time.

“This winded him for about 10 seconds and was captured on body-worn footage and the officer had been politely speaking to him before he was assaulted.

“He was later bailed, but in July 2023, he was in a car park in Sheerness, he was stood in the car park and was said to be boozy.

“He had no shoes or socks on and he started shouting at a woman and her daughter who were in their car, she was scared she locked the doors, but he was trying to smash the window.

“They had to hide in a nearby dentist and he tried to gain entry, but the staff locked the doors and called the police and when officers arrived, he was still in the area and was arrested.

“He was handcuffed at the rear, but then headbutts PC Mortimer to the face...when he was put in a police van he spat on the floor of the van’s cell.”

The prosecutor then told the court Jarvis stole crates of Stella beer from a Co-op store in Sheerness.

He returned to the same Co-op on June 2 when he was arrested.

Mr Knox added: “He then spat in the police van and assaulted PC Toby Walker when he made threats that he had HIV...then bit the officer on the forearm. He was later bailed.”

On June 11 he was arrested again when he threatened to kill someone in Duncan Road, Gillingham.

Mr Knox told the court: “He walked to a block of flats which had a metal gate, he somehow got access and a resident confronted him in the car park and communal area.

“He then said to that person, ‘I will kill you and your family if you don’t let me in’, he was kicking the front door saying: ‘I’ll f****** kill you,’ and said to the person ‘You’re dead’.”

The prosecutor then told the court when police arrived at the scene, Jarvis lashed out and hit two officers in the face.

Scott Neilson, mitigating, told magistrates his client had pleaded guilty to every single matter at the earliest opportunity.

He added: “He was bailed, but re-offended in June, he was remanded and spent three weeks in custody and has been able to detox from alcohol.”

Mr Neilson also suggested Jarvis could be released into the community wearing a tag while he is waiting to be sentenced.

Magistrates disagreed and remanded him in custody until a pre-sentencing report could be carried out on him.

He will be sentenced at Margate Magistrates’ Court on July 12 and will appear there via video link.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More