Home   Medway   News   Article

Update: Animal rights group respond to microwaved cat shock

injured cat
injured cat

An influential international animal rights group has reacted following the shocking story of a boy who put a neighbour's cat in a microwave.

PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, believes that children who inflict cruelty on animals often go on to harm humans.

RSPCA inspectors were called to Rochester after the eight-year-old boy apparently but the white cat into an oven. The pet is recovering but is believed to have been permanently injured by its ordeal.

PETA, whose celebrity supporters include Sir Paul McCartney and George Clooney, has pledged "To rush emergency humane-education materials" to primary schools across Medway after hearing about the front page story in today's Medway Messenger.

PETA associate director Mimi Bekhechi said: "Animal abuse should never be overlooked in children.Putting a stop to violent tendencies as soon as they become apparent should be a priority and the responsibility of all of society. After all, the whole of society pays the price when these violent tendencies escalate."

Because the accused boy is under 10, police are unable to launch criminal proceedings against him.

The cat is currently recovering at the PDSA animal hospital in Gillingham Business Park where it was treated for burns and shock.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More