Home   Medway   News   Article

Robber jailed for vicious Chatham High Street attack

A robber who carried out a brutal attack in Chatham High Street,sobbed in the dock as details of the incident were revealed.

Thug Paul Cox punched, kicked and jumped on former pal Martin Wilkinson's head before rifling through his pockets as he lay prone on the ground.

Paul Cox
Paul Cox

Maidstone Crown Court heard how Mr Wilkinson regained consciousness in the ambulance on the way to hospital.

Now Cox - who has three robbery convictions among his92 previous offences in the past 11 years - has now been jailed for 54 months after admitting the robbery.

The 24-year-old, of Charter Street, Chatham began weeping after appearing by prison video link was told by Judge David Griffith-Jones QC:

"Plainly you are someone who has been out of control, paying no regard for the normal and expected standards of civilised human behaviour."

He added: "This has been a sorry tale of what was a hideous attack, withextreme and gratuitous violence being inflicted by you."

Prosecutor Amy Nicholson told how after sending threats on social media Cox punched and kicked Mr Wilkinson in the high street where onlookers-including children were watching.

She said that after snatching his victim's mobile phone and £50 he then stamped on Mr Wilkinson's head.

The judge told Cox: "You were very fortunate in the circumstances that your victim did not sustain very serious injuries.

"Mr Wilkinson was left unconscious and later said he awoke in the ambulance. He suffered a bruised nose and a lump on the side of his head.

"For him this must have been a ghastly experience, one which will live with him for some considerable time."Benning him indefinitely from contacting his victim or his girlfriend, the judge added:

"This was an offence which happened on a busy high street in Chatham.

"It is apparent from the CCTV cameras that there were numerous members of the public there at the time, including children who were able to witness what was going on."

Police Constable Colin Cherry, from Kent Police’s Chief Constable’s Crime Squad, said: "Cox subjected the victim to a savage, unprovoked attack on a busy high street.

"The assault was committed for completely senseless reasons and could have easily caused more serious injuries.

"I would like to praise the actions of the members of public at the scene who contacted emergency services and took care of the victim until paramedics arrived.

"There is no place in society for any individual who is willing to use such violence against another person.

"I am pleased that Cox has been given a robust prison sentence and will not be in a position to cause further harm to the people of Kent and Medway."

To read more of our in depth coverage of all of the major trials coming out of crown and magistrates' courts across the county, click here.

For information on how we can report on court proceedings, click here.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More