Home   Medway   Sport   Article

FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round round-up: Wins for Chatham, Sheppey and Kennington

Chatham set up a home derby with Ashford United after putting six past Eastbourne United on Saturday.

Striker Dan Bradshaw was the leading marksman, scoring four times in Chats’ 6-2 extra preliminary round win.

Chatham's Jack Evans - on target in the FA Cup. Picture: Sean Aidan (50002289)
Chatham's Jack Evans - on target in the FA Cup. Picture: Sean Aidan (50002289)

Jack Evans marked his return from suspension by giving Chatham an early lead but it was cancelled out immediately by Chinonse Nwajagu.

Bradshaw’s double made it 3-1 by half-time and while Charlie Ball pulled a goal back on the hour, Bradshaw took his tally to four before Luke Rooney’s late deflected goal wrapped up the victory.

Sheppey progressed at the expense of fellow Southern Counties East side Tower Hamlets, all the goals coming in the second half in a 4-1 success.

Junior Aikhionbare hit the bar in the first half for the Ites while Hamlets had 10 men when Tola Odedoyin collected two bookings in quick succession after the break.

Billy Bennett’s free-kick put Sheppey ahead, James Jeffrey adding a second and then substitute Michael Hagan making it 3-0 with 10 minutes left.

Wale Odedoyin pulled one back but Jeffrey added his second late on to set up a home tie with Saltdean United in the next round.

Kennington scored all of their goals in a 5-0 defeat of Horley Town in the second half - their first-ever FA Cup win.

Gary Lockyer, an own goal, Liam Middleton and a brace by Callum Peck did the damage. Kennington will host Little Common Rovers in the next round.

After losing at this stage for the last two years it was third time lucky for Punjab United, who posted their first-ever FA Cup win with a 2-0 success at Mile Oak.

Ope Aromona gave Punjab a first-half lead and William Johnson Cole’s penalty in the second half wrapped up the victory and set up a trip to Phoenix Sports in the next round.

Phoenix progressed themselves, 1-0 winners at Molesey thanks to James Dyer’s goal seven minutes from time.

Hollands & Blair will host Ramsgate in the next round after a 3-0 win over Holmesdale. Harry Goodger scored a second-half hat-trick to send Blair through.

Deal’s players had extra reason to embrace Connor Coyne after he slammed home an injury-time winner against Southall.

Not only was it the only goal of the game but it also meant they avoided a midweek replay away from home.

Southall had played nearly all of the second half with 10 men after a red card for Alcino Souza Santos.

Louis Collins scored twice for Sevenoaks but a late equaliser means they will have to host Cobham in a replay on Wednesday night as their clash ended 2-2.

Erith & Belvedere also require a midweek replay, they held step 4 Tooting & Mitcham to a 1-1 draw away from home, Ollie Bate scoring for the Deres in the first half.

Erith Town progressed thanks to a goal in either half by Harry Gamble and Michael Power at Sheerwater.

Harry Hudson gave Tunbridge Wells an early lead at Walton & Hersham but the hosts hit back to win 2-1.

Lordswood and Knaphill will meet again on Tuesday night after a goalless draw at Martyn Grove while Kane Butler scored twice and Victor Aiyelabola got the other goal as K Sports defeated Rusthall 3-1.

There were home defeats for Glebe and Fisher, Welling Town lost 3-2 at Crawley Down Gatwick and Canterbury went down 3-0 at Balham.

Bearsted’s trip to Banstead Athletic was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch so they’ll try again in midweek.

Winning clubs banked £1,125 in prize money while the extra preliminary round is due to take place on Saturday, August 21.

Read more: All the latest sports news in Kent

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More