Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Fleetwood Town 0 Gillingham 2 – League 1 match report

Gillingham claimed back to back league wins for the first time this season, on Friday night.

First half goals from Josh Parker and Luke O’Neill put the Gills in the driving seat at Fleetwood.

A tremendous second half defensive display ensured Fleetwood ended the game without a shot on target, despite plenty of pressure.

Max Ehmer fends off another Fleetwood attack Picture: Barry Goodwin
Max Ehmer fends off another Fleetwood attack Picture: Barry Goodwin

Victory lifted the Gills five points clear of the League 1 drop zone.

The only downer of the night was an injury to Scott Wagstaff, the in-form midfielder limping off with a muscle injury midway through the opening half. 

Reaction: Gills response delights boss Lovell

Friday night’s trip to Fleetwood ended a gruelling month of travel for fans, clocking up 1,700 miles on the road during December with, previous games at Plymouth and Carlisle. Victory ensured this was a game worth seeing.

It was Gillingham’s first win at Fleetwood’s Highbury stadium, in five attempts.

Lee Martin up against former Gills man Baily Cargill Picture: Barry Goodwin
Lee Martin up against former Gills man Baily Cargill Picture: Barry Goodwin

There were two changes for the Gills as Gabriel Zakuani and Connor Ogilvie replaced Alex Lacey and Ben Nugent in defence.

Fleetwood, with just one win from their last 11 in the league, included former Gills loanee defender Baily Cargill in their starting XI.

The Gills were out to prove a point after a poor showing in the FA Cup against League 2 Carlisle and they played some impressive stuff early on.

A move involving Lee Martin and O’Neill led to the opener. A cross from Wagstaff found Parker, he took a touch, turned and then fired home past keeper Alex Cairns.

Luke O'Neill on the ball for Gillingham Picture: Barry Goodwin
Luke O'Neill on the ball for Gillingham Picture: Barry Goodwin

Tom Eaves had the ball in the net after 15 minutes, but that was ruled out for offside. Seconds later and the Gills did have their second and it was all down to O’Neill, finding a gap through a crowd and picking out the bottom corner with a curling 25-yard effort.

Fleetwood improved as the half progressed, aided by Wagstaff’s absence, but for all the pressure Gills’ keeper Tomas Holy wasn’t overly troubled, with the defence doing their jobs well. Returning defender Zakuani made a couple of timely interventions.

The home side added extra firepower to their side at the break but the Gills remained strong at the back, forcing the likes of Hiwula to gamble with some wayward efforts.

Eaves had the ball in the net again for Gillingham but his 56 minute header, from Martin’s free-kick, but again the flag was raised for offside.

Mark Byrne smashed a powerful effort wide for the visitors and put another chance from distance over the bar.

Fleetwood were being repelled by some great determination from the Gills, everyone getting stuck in to clear the danger.

Gillingham were sticking everyone behind the ball at times as the pressure mounted. The home side were struggling to create meaningful chances from their possession.

Hiwula put a good chance wide late on after Ehmer had blocked one effort and headed another clear.

Fleetwood: Cairns, Eastham, Bolger (Pond 70mins), Cargill (Sowerby 46mins), Coyle, Dempsey, Glendon, O’Neill (Hunter 46mins), Bell, Hiwula, Cole. Subs: Neal, Burns, Maguire, Schwabl.

Gillingham: Holy, O’Neill, Ogilvie, Ehmer, Zakuani, Byrne, Clare, Wagstaff (Hessenthaler 39mins), Martin, Eaves (Wilkinson 81mins), Parker. Subs: Arnold, Lacey, Wilkinson, Nugent, List, Cundle.

Attendance: 2,088

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More