Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Gillingham 1 Millwall 1 – League 1 match report

Gillingham had to settle for a point from their home derby against Millwall.

Joe Quigley put the Gills ahead midway through the second half but Steve Morison responded five minutes later.

It’s now five games without a win for the relegation-threatened Gills.

Ryan Jackson on the attack Picture: Andy Jones
Ryan Jackson on the attack Picture: Andy Jones

Gillingham boss Ady Pennock made just one change to his starting XI, as big striker Joe Quigley took the place of suspended Bradley Dack.

Coins and a bottle thrown as the Gills host Millwall

Millwall included former Gills players Mahlon Romeo and Joe Martin in their defence. It was Martin’s first start since mid-December.

Saturday was vital for both teams. The Gills needed a win to try and put distance between themselves and the bottom four, while the Lions were hot on the heels of the teams currently in the play-off places.

Gillingham – with four straight defeats behind them – had eight corners in the first half but were unable to make the most of them, with keeper Tom King unchallenged.

Reaction: Gills boss happy with a point

Cody McDonald had a glancing header go wide but it was visiting forward Steve Morison with the best of the chances. Keeper Tomas Holy held onto both of his first half efforts.

Former Gills youth player Romeo looked a class act at right-back for Millwall on his return to Priestfield. The best moments for the hosts were down the opposite flank, with Ryan Jackson seeing plenty of the ball.

Former Millwall player Lee Martin was at the centre of most of the controversial incidents in the half. Referee Charles Breakspear ignored his early penalty appeal and added his name in the book for a challenge on David Worrall, not long after a foul on Romeo could easily have warranted a booking.

Play was also held up for a short period, midway through the half, with Martin claiming he had a coin thrown at him before he went to take a corner.

Those corners had been sent in low, high, short and deep, but Gillingham went into the break without a shot on target.

The best of the early second half chances went to Millwall, with Ben Thompson skipping past a couple of challenges before firing wide.

Harry Cornick – playing behind the front two on Saturday - volleyed an effort just wide for the Gills before the hour mark. Ehmer also hit a half-chance wide on the turn from a Jackson cross.

Gillingham took a 67 minute lead. Ehmer was denied by a great reflex save, off yet another Martin corner, but Quigley was there to follow-up from close range.

Millwall were level five minutes later. Holy saved from Wallace but when the ball fell at the feet of Morison he showed great composure to level the scores.

Gillingham: Holy, Oshilaja, Rehman, Ehmer, Jackson, Martin, Wright, Byrne (Osadebe 79mins), Cornick (Hessenthaler 75mins), Quigley, McDonald. Subs not used: Nelson, Donnelly, Parker, List, Muldoon.

Millwall: King, Romeon, Martin, Hutchinson, Williams, Worrall (Onyedinma 87mins), Thompson, Wallace, Webster, O’Brien (Gregory 65mins), Morison. Subs not used: Girling, Cooper, Cummings, Abdou, Butcher.

Attendance: 7,221 (2,262 away)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More