Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Gillingham 0 Peterborough United 1 – League 1 match report

Gillingham were beaten by a last minute goal on Saturday.

Peterborough sub Junior Morias scored the winner, driving home from 25 yards.

The game had taken some time to come to life, with a forgettable first half, as both teams lacked quality.

Bradley Dack on the ball Picture: Andy Jones
Bradley Dack on the ball Picture: Andy Jones

The shot-count rose after the break but neither team had the cutting edge before Morias’ late goal.

Reaction: Ady Pennock on their latest defeat

Gills head coach Ady Pennock made five changes for the Gills, including a first appearan1ce for Czech keeper Tomas Holy, in place of Stuart Nelson.

Deji Oshilaja was passed fit to play, returning to a patched up defence alongside Max Ehmer.

Pennock switched formation for the visit of Peterborough, reverting to 4-4-2 but he was forced into an early change when Scott Wagstaff – playing right-back - slipped on the turf and was replaced by Ryan Jackson.

Peterborough’s Tom Nichols had also limped off injured and the referee Brendan Malone needed replacing as well, during a first half that otherwise had few talking points.

Max Ehmer in the air for Gillingham Picture: Andy Jones
Max Ehmer in the air for Gillingham Picture: Andy Jones

There was just a single shot on target from either team, as Maddison fired a free-kick straight at Holy. It was a fairly comfortable half for the new Gills keeper, commanding his box well.

Gillingham had, marginally, looked the better team going forward but they were unable to find the target. Bradley Dack dragged an early shot well wide and Josh Wright headed over.

Harry Cornick came on for the Gills in the second half, adding pace to the attack alongside McDonald.

But it was Maddison who again managed to find range, shooting low and unable to get past giant keeper Holy. Substitute Cornick tried his luck at the other end and fired just wide from 25 yards as the second half opened up.

McDonald found the target with a header, leaping well to meet Ryan Jackson’s cross, but keeper Luke McGee held on.

Ollie Muldoon drives forward for Gills Picture: Andy Jones
Ollie Muldoon drives forward for Gills Picture: Andy Jones

Cornick had another half chance on the hour, after Jackson’s long throw was cleared into his path, but his shot ballooned into the top of the Rainham End.

Peterborough moved up a gear around the 70 minute mark as the Gills were pushed back. Holy had to tip Chris Forrester’s long-range shot round the post and watched as Craig Mackail–Smith hit an effort wide.

Mackail-Smith had an even better chance with eight minutes left but the ball skimmed off his head as he looked to convert a Michael Smith cross.

The Gills were on the verge of a rare clean sheet before it opened up for Morias and he scored with a super strike.

Gillingham: Holy, Ehmer, Oshilaja, Martin, Muldoon, Wagstaff (Jackson 30mins), Byrne, Wright, Dack, McDonald (Parker 73mins), Donnelly (Cornick 46mins). Subs not used: Nelson, Hessenthaler, Osadebe, List.

Peterborough: McGee, Smith, Bostwick, Baldwin, Forrester, Maddison, Mackail-Smith (Hughes 90mins), DaSilva Lopes (Taylor 58mins), Nichols (Morias 21mins), Binnom-Williams, Grant. Subs not used: Tyler, Inman, Chettle, Borg.

Attendance: 7,569 (297 away)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More