Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Gillingham 0 Bradford City 2: Richie Smallwood and Andy Cook score winning goals in League 2 match at Priestfield

Gillingham’s winning run at Priestfield came to an end on Tuesday night against promotion-chasing Bradford.

Richie Smallwood headed the visitors infront and Andy Cook helped himself to the second shortly after the restart on a disappointing night for the Gills.

Stuart O'Keefe returned for the Gills on Tuesday night
Stuart O'Keefe returned for the Gills on Tuesday night

The Gills had won their previous four games at Priestfield but all of those were against bottom-half teams. Bradford were a different prospect and deservedly returned with the points.

Gillingham captain Stuart O’Keefe was returned to the side after being left out in the previous five games while Aiden O’Brien replaced Tom Nichols upfront and Shaun Williams returned.

Midfielder Tim Dieng missed out through injury against his former side while former Gills man Vadaine Oliver couldn’t feature because of a knock.

It was a lively start on Tuesday night with Dom Jefferies having a low shot saved but Bradford looked the better of the teams in the opening half - taking a goal lead into the break.

Dara Costelloe got in on goal a couple of times during the early stages, firstly being put in on goal when O’Keefe’s challenge on Andy Cook led to the ball running into his path. David Tutonda was wrong-footed as he got in again but could find no way past Glenn Morris.

George Lapslie had appeals for a penalty turned down when he went to ground in the box and Tutonda put a shot over.

The deadlock was broken midway through the half. Gills failed to get close enough to Brad Halliday and from his cross, Smallwood stole a yard on Cheye Alexander to nod in from close range.

Bradford looked to add a second as Jamie Walker was denied by Morris while at the other end visiting defender Sam Stubbs slid in to block an effort from Jefferies as he looked to pick out the bottom corner.

Gillingham made a pedestrian start to the second half and were undone early on.

Cook picked up the ball out wide after robbing an indecisive Max Ehmer of possession, skipped past Conor Masterson and then tucked the ball past Morris.

O’Keefe was replaced shortly after as Tom Nichols was thrown into the attack.

Visiting keeper Harry Lewis turned a George Lapslie header over the bar and from the corner a Bradford man almost put the ball into his own net. Gills kept the pressure on briefly and Alexander took a volley on from the edge of the box. He scored on Saturday but screwed this chance horribly wide.

Aiden O’Brien went close with a glancing header before more changes were made. Ehan Coleman replaced Williams for his Gills debut and Hakeeb Adelakun got a rare appearance of late.

Costelloe looked determined to get his first senior goal and tried his luck from the edge of the box, calling Gills keeper Morris into action again with a diving save. Alexander lost out to Bradford front-man Cook moments later as the home goalie pulled off another stop.

Gillingam’s revival won’t be without setbacks like Tuesday but demonstrated that there is still plenty of work to be done.

Gillingham: Morris, Alexander, Tutonda, Masterson, Ehmer, Williams (Coleman 72mins), O’Keefe (Nichols 55mins), Jefferies (Adelakun 72mins), Lapslie, O’Brien, Hawkins (Abrahams 88mins). Subs not used: Turner, Wright, Gbode.

Bradford: Lewis, Halliday, Ridehalgh, Platt, Smallwood, Cook, Walker (Crichlow 71mins) , Gilliead (Osadebe 83mins), Costelloe (Banks 90mins), Stubbs, Clayton. Subs not used: Doyle, East, Chapman, Kelly.

Referee: Alan Young

Attendance: 6,276 (363 away)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More