Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Gillingham 1 Cambridge United 0: Vadaine Oliver claims late winner for Neil Harris’ men in League 1 clash at Priestfield

Gillingham closed the gap to safety in League 1 with a winning goal four minutes from time at Priestfield.

In a game of few clear-cut chances the Gills put the pressure on late in the match and were rewarded as Vadaine Oliver claimed a goal as he helped Robbie McKenzie’s shot over the line.

Vadaine Oliver on target for Gillingham against Cambridge Picture: KPI
Vadaine Oliver on target for Gillingham against Cambridge Picture: KPI

Charlie Kelman replaced injured Danny Lloyd in the Gills team there was an inclusion on the bench for youth player Josh Chambers, making the senior squad for the first time.

The Gills bossed the early stages of the game at Priestfield and showed some quality in the build-up but there was no end product, with an opening half of few clear-cut chances.

Ben Thompson couldn’t get enough on a header that left him with a cut while Charlie Kelman hit a shot into the ground.

At the other end the Gills did show that they had tightened up with loan man Conor Masterson looking solid as Camridge struggled for a way through as they grew into the game.

A low shot from Adam May was claimed with ease by Gills keeper Aaron Chapman and Sam Sherring put a chance over the bar just before the half-time whistle sounded as the Us started to fancy their chances.

Cambridge started the second half as they finished the first, leaving the Gills on the backfoot, but Chapman wasn’t tested in the Gills goal.

Gills boss Neil Harris was hoping fresh legs would help up top as he replaced Kelman with Norwich loan man Tom Dickson-Peters.

Visiting striker Sam Smith went close with a header before Thompson blasted a shot at Us keeper Dimitar Mitov.

Gillingham had several penalty shouts on the night, with a couple of 50-50s including a challenge on Dickson-Peters, but referee James Bell wasn’t interested.

The Gills put the Cambridge goal under pressure late on and got a goal with 86 minute played. From a corner kick, McKenzie received the ball and guided a low shot through a crowded area where Oliver was lurking to apply the finish infront of the Rainham End.

Gillingham: Chapman, McKenzie, Tutonda (Jackson 75mins), Ehmer, Tucker, Masterson, O’Keefe, Thompson, Lee, Kelman (Dickson-Peters 63mins), Oliver (Phillips 90mins). Subs not used: Dahlberg, Maghoma, Lintott, Chambers.

Cambridge: Mitov, Williams, Digby, Brophy, O’Neil (Lankester 63mins), Smith, Dunk, Okedina, May, Sherring, Knibbs (Tolaj 76mins). Subs not used: Mannion, Worman, Bennett.

Referee: James Bell

Attendance: 3,823 (426 away)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More