Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Gillingham 1 Port Vale 1 – League 1 match report

Gillingham’s long wait for a win continued on Saturday.

Remie Streete headed the visitors infront early in the second half.

But a stoppage-time header from debut man Josh Parker did clinch the Gills a point. It was Gillingham’s fourth straight draw.

Josh Parker watches his header hit the net Picture: Andy Jones
Josh Parker watches his header hit the net Picture: Andy Jones

Reaction: I was booing too, says Gills boss

Gillingham were unchanged for the visit of Port Vale but there were new faces on the bench.

Summer signing Lee Martin was included for the first time, as was recent arrival Josh Parker. It was attack-minded bench for the Gills as they looked to end a run of seven games without a win.

Boss Ady Pennock was chasing his first win since taking charge and the Gills were watched by their lowest league crowd of the season on a chilly day at Priestfield.

The Gills were unable to create enough on what was another disappointing afternoon but at least they did avoid defeat.

Vale had more of the goal attempts during the opening half but neither side managed to boss it.

Match action from Priestfield Picture: Andy Jones
Match action from Priestfield Picture: Andy Jones

The best of the chances fell at the feet of Vale striker JJ Hooper, after Gills keeper Nelson had dropped the ball from a challenge that many felt was a foul. The visitors couldn’t capitalise after Streete played the loose ball in.

Gillingham had a couple of efforts off target, with their main attacking threat coming from makeshift left-back Deji Oshilaja.

There was a scare late in the half when Nelson dropped a backpass from Chris Herd but managed to recover to prevent Tyler Walker from taking advantage.

Nelson had to make a save early in the second half, to deny Danny Pugh, but from the subsequent corner the visitors took the lead. Callum Guy swung in the corner and Streete met the ball at the far post to head home the opener.

Martin made his long-awaited debut as replacement for McDonald with almost an hour gone and that was soon followed by the arrival of recently signed Josh Parker, also making his first Gills appearance.

But despite playing with two up top, the Gills still struggled to create openings.

Vale almost grabbed a second when Sam Foley was put in but his shot flashed across the face of goal. Anthony De Freitas also came close with a free-kick.

Gillingham finished with three at the back but just couldn’t get in on goal. A late shot from Jay Emmanuel-Thomas failed to trouble keeper Leonardo Fasan.

Right at the death the Gills levelled with Parker heading home Emmanuel-Thomas’ corner.

Related story

"To hell and back" - Josh Parker on his nightmare in Serbia

New boy Josh Parker enjoys his equaliser Picture: Andy Jones
New boy Josh Parker enjoys his equaliser Picture: Andy Jones

Gillingham: Nelson, Jackson, Oshilaja, Herd, Ehmer, Hessenthaler (Parker 60mins), Wright, Donnelly, Wagstaff (Emmanuel-Thomas 75mins), Dack, McDonald (Martin 57mins). Subs not used: Holy, Garmston, List, Byrne.

Port Vale: Fasan, Purkiss, Streete, Knops, Hooper (Eagles 90mins), Foley, Pugh, Smith, Guy, Walker (Forrester 78mins), de Freitas. Subs not used: Boot, Kelly, Prohouly, Tanser, Shodipo.

Attendance: 4,942 (129 away)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More