Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Gillingham 0 Stockport County 0: League 2 match report from Priestfield Stadium

Gillingham claimed a point against League 2 leaders Stockport County on Tuesday night.

The Gills offered little going forward against the high-flyers but at least managed to claim a point as the match ended 0-0 - their fourth successive drawn match at Priestfield.

Jake Turner saves from Myles Hippolyte in the first half Picture: Beau Goodwin
Jake Turner saves from Myles Hippolyte in the first half Picture: Beau Goodwin

Gillingham boss Stephen Clemence freshened things up in attack with three changes to his forward line for the visit of Stockport.

Josh Walker, Jonny Williams and Jayden Clarke were all starters for the Gills against a Stockport side reeling from a weekend 4-0 drubbing at Tranmere. The visitors made six changes to the team which started that match.

The Gills were keen to bounce back from a 1-0 loss at Newport, and the changes certainly added some pace to the side, but there was little to get excited about in the first 45 minutes after a lack of quality from the hosts.

Gillingham just couldn’t get going and it was Stockport who bossed the opening half.

An early defensive clearance from Myles Hippolyte cannoned off a Gills player and over the bar in the opening exchanges and aside from a long-range effort from Williams, that was as good as it got for the hosts.

Ethan Coleman in action for Gillingham against Stockport County Picture: Julian_KPI
Ethan Coleman in action for Gillingham against Stockport County Picture: Julian_KPI

On several occasions, they gave away possession too easily and only the woodwork denied Hippolyte from scoring the opener as his free-kick from out near the corner flag beat keeper Jake Turner but not the frame of the goal.

Turner had to save from the same player soon after as Stockport continued to dominate.

The Gills had also been caught napping from a quickly taken free-kick earlier in the half which led to a cross from that man Hippolyte again but Lewis Cass headed wide.

At least the Gills could be grateful to have reached the halfway mark with the score still goalless.

Shad Ogie clears the ball for the Gills against Stockport County Picture: Beau Goodwin
Shad Ogie clears the ball for the Gills against Stockport County Picture: Beau Goodwin

The Gills continued to offer little going forward at the start of the second half and with an hour gone, Clemence made changes as Oli Hawkins and Ashley Nadesan were introduced for the ineffective Clarke and Walker.

Max Ehmer and Nadesan both put efforts over the bar while being tightly marked during a more productive spell for the Gills. Long throws from Shad Ogie were at least giving the Stockport defence something to defend.

Gillingham survived a few dicey moments in their own box as Stockport looked to find a breakthrough.

Scott Malone came off the bench and had a late effort blocked.

On a night where the Gills struggled to excite that at least took something from the contest as it ended goalless.

League 2 table

Gillingham: Turner, Hutton, Clark (Malone 81mins), Masterson, Ehmer, Ogie, Dieng, Coleman, J Williams, Clarke (Hawkins 61mins), Walker (Nadesan 61mins). Subs not used: Morris, McKenzie, Mahoney, S Williams

Stockport: Hinchcliffe, Cass, Byrne, Horsfall, Touray, Hippolyte, Sarcevic, Collar (Bailey 28mins), Croasdale, Wootton (Olaofe 70mins), Madden (Powell 89mins). Subs not used: Smith, Bristow, Evans, Bennett.

Referee: Lee Swabey

Attendance: 5,321 (378 away)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More