Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Gillingham 2 Sheffield United 0 match report

Jermaine McGlashan celebrates his 86th-minute strike for Gills against Sheffield United Picture: Barry Goodwin
Jermaine McGlashan celebrates his 86th-minute strike for Gills against Sheffield United Picture: Barry Goodwin

Substitute Jermaine McGlashan scored one and made the other as Gillingham beat Sheffield United with two late goals.

He gave Gills the lead when he ran on to Max Ehmer's long ball and rolled past United keeper Mark Howard on 86 minutes.

McGlashan then found Cody McDonald, who made sure of the points with an emphatic injury-time effort in front of new boss Justin Edinburgh.

Gillingham are up to 17th place in League 1, seven points clear of the bottom four.

Gills made only one change to the side who drew at Walsall, with Bradley Garmston replacing McGlashan.

Both teams looked neat in possession early on, without creating a chance, but by the end of the first half a scrappy game was crying out for a bit of quality.

Jake Hessenthler cleared a John Brayford strike off the line from a corner as Sheffield United threatened on 20 minutes.

It triggered a decent spell for the visitors that saw Che Adams' low strike touched wide by Stuart Nelson but Gills centre-halves John Egan and Max Ehmer looked comfortable.

Gills' Bradley Dack sent a free-kick into the wall and also saw his follow-up blocked midway through the half.

The hosts then threatened when Jose Baxter gifted possession to McDonald, whose neat chip went just over the bar.

There was still time for a penalty shout when Jake Hessenthaler's diving header from McDonald's cross was blocked by Harris.

Paul Coutts cut inside Dack and sent a 25-yard strike over Nelson's bar in the first action of the second half.

But it was soon Gillingham's turn to threaten with McDonald's first-time volley from a Hessenthaler cross crashing back off the bar.

Frustration grew as a string of free-kicks went against Gills but home fans were almost celebrating when Gavin Hoyte skipped past his man and squared for Dack, who missed by inches at the near post.

Gillingham were doing most of the pressing against the League 1 big guns, spurred on by the number of decisions going against them.

They were by far the better side after the break and were rewarded late on.

Gillingham: Nelson, Garmston, Egan, Ehmer, Loft, Hessenthaler, Marquis (McGlashan 79mins), McDonald, Pritchard (Galbraith 45mins), Dack, Hoyte. Subs not used: Legge, Morris, German, Norris, Dickenson.

Attendance: 5,704 (781 from Sheff Utd).

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More