Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Gillingham 2 Yeovil Town 0 - match report

Joe Martin mobbed by his team-mates after scoring Saturday's opener Picture: Barry Goodwin
Joe Martin mobbed by his team-mates after scoring Saturday's opener Picture: Barry Goodwin

Gillingham bagged their first points of the season with a win on Saturday at home to Yeovil.

It was the second time in less than a week that the Gills had defeated their League 1 rivals, having dumped them out of the Capital One Cup in midweek.

The Gills took a first half lead from a Joe Martin free-kick after the visitors had an earlier penalty saved.

Danny Kedwell doubled Gills’ advantage in the second half as Peter Taylor's side eased to victory.

Taylor opted to stick with the wing-back formation that had led to Tuesday night’s win over Yeovil at Huish Park.

The Gills boss also decided to hand new loan keeper Stephen Bywater a start, in place of Glenn Morris, as one of four changes to the starting eleven.

Just 10 minutes into the game Taylor was forced into making a change, when young right wing-back Josh Hare went down with a head injury. Matt Fish, back in the squad after knee injury, replaced him.

There were only a few clear-cut chances in the first half, with Yeovil getting little joy in their attempts to open up the Gills.

But they got a great chance to take the lead when Leon Legge was adjudged by referee Lee Collins to have fouled Ben Nugent in the box.

Kieffer Moore took a penalty that lacked pace and went down the middle into the arms of a grateful Bywater.

The Gills made Yeovil pay for their miss. A foul on Danny Kedwell by Nathan Smith led to a free-kick 20 yards out. Martin curled the effort home to give the Gills the lead.

Smith’s day didn’t get any better in the second half, as 10 minutes in he was guilty of fouling Morris in the box. Kedwell fired the penalty at keeper Chris Weale but tucked away the rebound.

Yeovil offered little attacking threat for the rest of the half but the Gills did suffer another injury blow, with Martin leaving the field on a stretcher in the closing stages, having gone down with a knee injury.

Gillingham: Bywater, Hare (Fish 10mins), Martin (Pritchard 87mins), Egan, Hause, Legge, A Morris, Loft, Hessenthaler, Kedwell, German (Dickenson 67mins). Subs not used: G Morris, Norris, Davies, Dack.

Yeovil Town: Weale, Smith (Foley 57mins), Edwards, Martin, Sokolik, Dawson, Leitch-Smith, Moore (Hayter 46mins), Ralph (Moloney 76mins), Nugent, Gillett. Subs not used: Krysiak, Hoskins, Lanzoni, Brooks.

Attendance: 5,173 (222 away)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More