Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Grimsby Town 1 Gillingham 1: Ryan Taylor’s early goal cancelled out by Mikael Mandron who had two other efforts disallowed in the League 2 clash at Blundell Park

Mikael Mandron scored an equaliser for Gillingham but had two goals disallowed as the match at Grimsby finished level.

Gillingham were bright on the night and ended their goal drought after 14 minutes when Mikael Mandron turned the ball home from close range, levelling the match after Ryan Taylor’s early opener for the hosts. With two goals struck off for Mandron, the match ended 1-1.

Mikael Mandron ended Gillingham's long run without a goal
Mikael Mandron ended Gillingham's long run without a goal

Mandron’s goal that was allowed ended a seven-game drought for Gillingham but Neil Harris’ men have now gone six league games without a win.

Football returned on Tuesday night after a weekend where the game’s entire programme was called off out of respect to Queen Elizabeth II, following her death.

The match at Blundell Park was preceded by a minute’s silence and the singing of the national anthem, led by Grimsby-born comedian Lloyd Griffith.

Gillingham’s deadline-day signing Robbie McKenzie made his first appearance since his return, slotting in at right-back to replace the suspended Haji Mnoga.

It was a change at the back for the Gills but with just seven minutes played Grimsby took the lead after goalkeeper Glenn Morris was unable to keep hold of Brendan Kiernan’s shot. The ball dropped in the box and Taylor was there to score.

Gillingham were soon level, however. Ben Reeves’ first corner failed to beat the first man but his second attempt was delivered to the back post where Shaun Williams did enough to unsettle the defence, the ball didn’t quite fall for Scott Kashket but strike partner Mandron was on hand to finish.

Mandron had the ball in the net again from another Reeves corner, heading home, but Max Ehmer was holding onto the home keeper earlier as both teams jostled for positions. The referee had already blown his whistle for a foul before the ball hit the back of the net.

Grimsby went close to a second before the break when Kiernan’s rasping effort came off the underside of the bar and Morris had to save Luke Waterfall’s follow-up.

Both sides went close in the opening moments of the second half. Hakeeb Adelakun’s low ball across the face of goal was just missed at the back post by Mandron while at the other end Ryan Law had to hack the ball clear from infront of goal.

Home goalkeeper Max Crocombe kept out a Mandron shot with an hour gone after the Gills had withstood some Grimsby pressure from a series of corner kicks.

Gillingham continued to be a threat but were struggling to make it count. The pace of Adelakun and half-time substitute Jordan Green was giving Town’s defence plenty to think about, along with the busy Ben Reeves. With time running out, both sides fancies their chances of snatching the points.

Mandron had the ball in the net again in stoppage-time, following Stuart O’Keefe’s ball across goal, but the flag went up for offside.

Gillingham: Morris, Adelakun, Law, McKenzie, Ehmer, Baggott, O’Keefe, Williams, Reeves (MacDonald 87mins), Kashket (Green 46mins), Mandron. Subs not used: Turner, Alexander, Wright, Walker.

Grimsby: Crocombe, Efete, Waterfall, Smith, Glennon, Clifton, Morris (Hunt 75mins), Holohan, Kiernan (Wearne 80mins), Richardson (Simmonds 80mins), Taylor. Subs not used: Battersby, Maher, Green, Orsi.

Referee: Andy Haines

Attendance: 5,960 (125 away)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More