Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Hull City 1 Gillingham 1: Tom Eaves scores against former team at the KCOM Stadium but Olly Lee levels

Olly Lee netted an equalising goal for Gillingham in a well contested battle against league leaders Hull City.

Tom Eaves scored against his former club on Saturday but the table toppers were denied a win thanks to a goal from substitute Lee midway through the second half.

Olly Lee scored a Gillingham equaliser at Hull City
Olly Lee scored a Gillingham equaliser at Hull City

Gillingham were forced into making a change at the back as a knock for Robbie Cundy meant he missed the match. Connor Ogilvie moved into the centre and Tommy O’Connor came into the team to play left-back.

The Gills started the match well enough and after just 14 seconds John Akinde turned his marker before his lobbed effort dropped just the wrong side of the post.

With six minutes gone Steve Evans’ men went even closer, a shot from Jack Tucker hitting Vadaine Oliver and bouncing off the upright.

That impressive start came to nothing, however, and Hull took a ninth minute lead when Eaves’ downward header from Mallik Wilks’ looping cross beat keeper Jack Bonham at the far post.

Eaves - who scored 40 goals for the Gills in two seasons - came close to a second midway through the half, poking a shot just wide off the outside of the post. George Honeyman had made a charge forward to create the opening after finding himself with plenty of space to run into.

Gillingham kept themselves in the game, creating chances without finding the finishing touch, and the one goal remained the difference at the break.

The Gills continued to compete well at the start of the second half but again struggled to find that final bit of quality.

Hull hit the woodwork with just under an hour gone, Jacob Greaves heading a great chance onto the bar after Honeyman’s corner had been flicked on by Keane Lewis-Potter at the near post.

Evans changed things around with a switch in formation as Olly Lee replaced Akinde.

It was Lee who levelled the scores, just six minutes after being introduced. A corner from Tommy O’Connor was met by Tucker and when the ball was played back into the middle the substitute was there to fire home.

The Gills were almost back behind soon after when Wilks cross was blocked by Ogilive and the ball hit the side netting. Eaves had another chance from a super Honeyman cross but could only direct the header at a grateful Jack Bonham.

An inviting cross from Lewie Coyle also had to be palmed away by Bonham as Hull looked to restore their advantage. Lewis-Potter should have done better with two chances in quick succession, a header that he powered wide with only the keeper to beat and a shot that narrowly went wide too.

Gillingham survived the flurry of chances and made changes to personnel to freshen things up.

A head injury to former Gills man Alfie Jones allowed Gills to have a breather and after a long period of stoppage-time the match finally ended one apiece, although substitute Dominic Samuel almost snatched a Gills winner at the death from a Jackson throw.

Gillingham: Bonham, Jackson, Ogilvie, Tucker, O'Keefe, Dempsey, O'Connor, MacDonald (McKenzie 82mins), Graham (Samuel 84mins), Akinde (Lee 61mins), Oliver. Subs not used: Bastien, Willock, Johnson, Woods.

Hull City: Ingram, Coyle, Elder, Wilks, A Jones (McLoughlin 70mins), Slater, Lewis-Potter, Greaves, Docherty, Honeyman, Eaves (Scott 80mins). Subs not used: Long, Emmanuel, Crowley, C Jones, Salam.

Referee: Martin Coy

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More