Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Cobham 40 Medway 28: London 1 South match report

Medway failed to extend their unbeaten run for a 10th match after a 40-28 defeat at Cobham in London 1 South.

After securing promotion last time out, Medway showed seven changes from the previous week's win over Horsham and were always chasing the game. However coach Taff Gwilliam was magnanimous in defeat.

Medway's unbeaten run came to an end at the weekend. Picture: Paul Wardzynski
Medway's unbeaten run came to an end at the weekend. Picture: Paul Wardzynski

“Cobham were the better side today," he said. "We have no complaints.

"There are areas of our game that need to improve throughout the whole squad and we will continue to work on that.

"We have had a great season and no matter what happens nothing can take that away. We look forward with confidence.”

Medway made a slow start and were behind after two minutes. Lost possession led to a missed tackle in midfield and the home centre scored a well-taken, converted try.

However on 20 minutes the visitors were off the mark. Good phase play saw space created for Lordi Waqa, who broke two home cover tackles to score. Dan Harvey added the extras.

A solid scrummage provided the platform for Cobham to retake the lead. They went through the phases, retaining possession well, and eventually narrowed the Medway defence to create space for their right-winger to finish smartly out wide.

The score was converted and Medway went changed ends 14-7 down, before falling further behind a minute after the break.

Deep in the opposition 22, a Medway pass went astray and Cobham hacked downfield. Owen Church-Mills and Sean Marriott did well to recover the ball under pressure, but as they looked to clear their lines Marriott’s kick was charged down for another home try.

On 47 minutes the away side were back in it. Good game management from Harvey and strong carries from Henry Kenny, Michael Fankah, Maik Timmerman and Tom Beaumont saw the home line pressed. Medway were held up over the line but a goalline drop-out saw Waqa run back hard from the resultant ruck. Harvey and Antony Clement moved the ball wide and a powerful run from John Sipawa ended with a touchdown. Harvey added the extras.

However back-to-back tries from the home side on 53 and 57 minutes - combined with poor tackling from Medway - took the hosts 33-14 ahead.

Luke Burns broke a tackle to dive over in response, and Billy Sandison also crossed the whitewash, with Harvey converting. Medway had another chance, but Billy Humphrey was unable to ground the ball and Cobham closed the game out with another try from their industrious back row.

Medway host league leaders Camberley this weekend.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More