Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Peterborough United 1 Gillingham 1 – League 1 match report

Baily Cargill volleyed in a stoppage-time equaliser for Gillingham at Peterborough.

An entertaining first half at the ABAX Stadium failed to produce a goal.

Finishing from both sides was off the mark and that continued in the second half, until Lee Angol put Peterborough ahead after 78 minutes.

Then a spectacular finish from Cargill beat keeper Luke McGee to level the scores.

Gillingham celebrate their equaliser on Boxing Day Picture: Ady Kerry
Gillingham celebrate their equaliser on Boxing Day Picture: Ady Kerry

Reaction: Gills boss Justin Edinburgh was a proud man after his side fought back

Form-team Peterborough started the match six points clear of the Gills, a place and a point outside the play-offs. Justin Edinburgh’s Gillingham started the day in 13 place.

The Gills enjoyed a memorable festive period last season, with a four-game winning streak. A 1-0 win at MK Dons the week before had set them up nicely as they looked to maintain their improved form.

A point against high-flying Peterborough was well-earned.

There was just one change to Gillingham’s starting XI with Ryan Jackson returning to right-back and Scott Wagstaff moving further forward in place of Frank Nouble, who was on the bench.

Both sides showed plenty of attacking intent during the opening exchanges but neither could capitalise in the first half.

Frank Nouble in action on Boxing Day Picture: Ady Kerry
Frank Nouble in action on Boxing Day Picture: Ady Kerry

Bradley Dack was denied by the keeper after just two minutes and five minutes later he found Jay Emmanuel-Thomas in space but again the shot wasn’t good enough to severely test Luke McGee.

At the other end Andrew Hughes fired over and they then went close twice from corner kicks. Ryan Tafazolli twice got on the end of Marcus Maddison’s corners but one was blocked on the line by Paul Konchesky and the other went just wide.

Tom Nichols put the best chance of the half wide when he was played in by Gwion Edwards. With just Nelson to beat he couldn’t find the target.

Dack had another low shot saved after great build-up play from the Gills while Max Ehmer put a weak volley into the keeper’s arms following a corner.

Both teams were left ruing their finishing as they went into the break without a goal between them.

Edwards put a shot wide early in the half but Nichols was guilty of missing a sitter just four minutes after the restart. Nelson saved well initially from Nichols, after the striker got in the clear, but he then put the follow-up wide with the goal gaping.

A good chance at the other end saw Emmanuel-Thomas shoot over after Konchesky’s low corner picked him out in the area.

Scott Wagstaff on the ball against Peterborough Picture: Ady Kerry
Scott Wagstaff on the ball against Peterborough Picture: Ady Kerry

Peterborough were getting in on goal too frequently for Gillingham’s liking but the finishing continued to be wayward. Nichols was once again played in but again shot wide.

Both sides took their goal chances into double figures after the break but finding the killer touch was proving tough.

Ehmer went close for the Gills, with a shot on the turn, while Peterborough sub Lee Angol put an effort wide and Leo Da Silva Lopes fired the ball way off target after clever footwork to produce an opening.

Angol finally found a way through with 12 minutes left. Nelson saved his first effort superbly with his feet but the follow-up just crept in at the far post.

Gillingham struggled to create the chances they did in the first 45 minutes and a low Dack shot was saved by McGee at the other end.

The Gills finished the game strongly and got their rewards as Wagstaff’s cross was finished by Cargill.

Peterborough (4-2-3-1): McGee, Smith, Hughes, Bostwick, Tafazolli, Edwards, Forrester, Maddison (Moncur 67mins), Coulthirst (Angol 60mins), Lopes, Nichols (Oduwa 90mins). Subs not used: Tyler, Santos, Inman, Binnom-Williams.

Gillingham (4-2-3-1): Nelson, Jackson, Konchesky, Cargill, Ehmer, Wright, Hessenthaler (Donnelly 86mins), Dack, Wagstaff, Emmanuel-Thomas, McDonald (Nouble 74mins). Subs not used: Hadler, Oshilaja, Knott, Oldaker, Byrne.

Attendance: 6,239

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More