Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Scunthorpe United 0 Gillingham 2 - match report

More news, no ads


Leading scorer Tom Eaves missed a penalty but Gills still ran out comfortable winners at Scunthorpe on Saturday.

The hosts have only won twice at home in League 1 this season and on this evidence it was easy to see why.

But take nothing away from an impressive Gillingham display as Steve Lovell's side made all the running and thoroughly deserved the three points.

Gills celebrate their second goal at Scunthorpe. Picture: Ady Kerry
Gills celebrate their second goal at Scunthorpe. Picture: Ady Kerry

They scored twice in the second half but, in truth, could have easily had the game sewn up by half-time.

An excellent playing surface suited the visitors' attacking intent with Josh Parker again playing behind the front pair of Eaves and Elliott List.

Gills created a number of clear-cut chances. They should have been ahead inside six minutes but List's perfect cross into the six-yard box was put wide at the far post by leading scorer Eaves.

Eaves lacked conviction when he met Connor Ogilvie's cross and then List's cross was turned behind as he again left the home defence behind.

More good work by List set up Dean Parrett on the edge of the box but three Scunthorpe defenders threw their bodies in the way.

The ball was then worked wide to Ogilvie but his left-wing cross was just too high for Mark Byrne, who couldn't direct his header on target.

Darren Oldaker failed to match last week's FA Cup strike, firing over from distance with his left foot.

List should have netted nine minutes before the break but blazed over after Oldaker's corner fell perfectly for him.

The hosts looked dangerous on the break. Oldaker's slip let in Lee Novak but when the ball was played back to him, Tomas Holy got down well to save.

Gillingham's Elliot List puts the home side under pressure. Picture: Ady Kerry
Gillingham's Elliot List puts the home side under pressure. Picture: Ady Kerry

James Perch twice threatened from distance but it was home side who were grateful to get into the break still on level terms.

It may have been a nervy half-time cuppa for the visiting fans, but Gills carried on where they left off in the second half - and found their scoring boots as well.

Parrett was certainly well involved. Both Rory McArdle and James Perch were booked for late fouls on Parrett before Gills went ahead on 54 minutes.

Parrett's rasping long-range drive came back off the post. The ball was returned to the danger area by Ogilvie, picking out Eaves who controlled the ball before firing into the bottom corner.

Josh Morris shot over for the hosts but Gills immediately went up the other end and made it 2-0.

Byrne crossed from the right and Parrett had time and space to chest the ball down before producing a sublime volley into the far corner.

Gills were slicing the hosts apart with every attack, Ogilvie's shot was deflected behind for a corner before Eaves fired just wide of the upright.

Gills lost the impressive Max Ehmer to injury but Alex Lacey slotted into the back four as his replacement without any alarm.

With 11 minutes left, Ogilvie won a penalty after he was tripped in the box. Eaves stepped up but blazed his spot-kick over the bar having sent keeper Jak Alnwick the wrong way.

Gillingham: Holy, Ehmer (Lacey 69mins), Zakuani, Parrett (Bingjham 81mins), Eaves, Fuller, Parker, List, Oldaker, Byrne, Ogilvie. Subs not used: O'Neill, Garmston, Charles-Cook, Rees, Hadler.

Scunthorpe: Alnwick, Borthwick-Jackson, Lund (Ugbo 62mins), Morris, Perch, Novak, Thomas (Dales 71mins), Goode, Burgess, McArdle, Wootton. Subs not used: Flatt, Horsfield, Humphrys, El-Mhanni, Sutton.

Attendance: 3,054.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More