Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Salford City 0 Gillingham 2: League 2 match report and highlights from the Peninsula Stadium - Shad Ogie and Tim Dieng on target for the Gills

Gillingham scored either side of the half-time interval to clinch maximum points in difficult conditions at Salford.

Shad Ogie headed the Gills in front just before the break and shortly after the restart Tim Dieng doubled the lead. A heavy hail shower led to awful playing conditions as Gillingham took maximum points from the game and reclaim a top-seven position.

Shad Ogie put Gillingham ahead just before the break Picture: @Julian_KPI
Shad Ogie put Gillingham ahead just before the break Picture: @Julian_KPI

Gillingham head coach Stephen Clemence named an unchanged eleven for the match which meant Glenn Morris kept his place in goal ahead of the fit-again Jake Turner.

Salford had lost only once in the 10 games since Karl Robinson had taken over as head coach, although that loss was a heavy one, beaten 5-1 at Mansfield. The new boss hadn’t tasted a home loss prior to the weekend visit of the Gills.

Gillingham were buoyed by a 1-0 win over Wrexham the week before and a point against the then-leaders Stockport County prior to that.

Salford’s Peninsula Stadium pitch was in a terrible condition but Clemence’s men were rewarded for a positive opening half, with a goal late in the half to deservedly lead at the interval.

Prior to Ogie’s goal, there had been plenty of attacking intent from the Gills, but the final ball into the box often failed to find a man.

Conditions weren't ideal for the Gills at Salford
Conditions weren't ideal for the Gills at Salford

The Gills hadn’t been able to test the home keeper despite a couple of early free-kicks - both for fouls on Oli Hawkins - and a handful of corners but it was from a set-piece that the opener finally arrived.

Remeao Hutton’s 44th minute corner was cleared but only into the path of Ethan Coleman and when he headed it back toward goal, Ogie lurking and nodded past keeper Alex Cairns.

There were shouts of offside from the home side but the goal stood.

It was Ogie’s first goal for the Gills and sent his team into the break with a lead to defend. Salford’s only on-target effort of the half had been Curtis Tilt’s shot that Morris held onto.

The hosts made a double change at the break to try and get back into the game. Hawkins had an early chance held by the home keeper and headed a corner clear at the other end.

As the rain and hail arrived, threatening to turn the Salford pitch into a mud bath, the Gills extended their lead.

It was Dieng’s goal which had beaten Wrexham the week before and he was there to guide home Gillingham’s second at Salford after Ashley Nadesan had squared the ball to him.

Torrential hail turned the Salford pitch white and playing conditions tough. Eyes were on referee Ross Joyce as to whether he would take the teams off but play continued.

Gillingham managed to keep Salford and their giant striker Matt Smith quiet with Morris called upon the get a hand to a corner but otherwise wasn’t overly troubled.

Smith unusually headed a good cross wide late on for Salford and a scuffed shot from Matt Lund was comfortably collected by Morris.

The Gills keeper made a couple of saves late on to deny Salford hope of getting back into the game.

Gillingham: Morris, Hutton, Clark (Malone 85mins), Masterson, Ehmer, Ogie, Coleman, Dieng (McKenzie 85mins), J Williams (S Williams 79mins), Nadesan (Mahoney 68mins), Hawkins. Subs not used: Turner, Clarke, Walker.

Salford: Cairns, Ingram (Morton 46mins), John, Watt, Watson (Hendry 72mins), Tilt, Smith, McAleny (Lund 72mins), Chesters, Vassell, Humbles (McLennan 46mins). Subs not used: Torrance, Mariappa, Malcolm.

Referee: Ross Joyce

Attendance: 2,995 (562 away)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More