Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Scunthorpe United 1 Gillingham 3 – League 1 match report

Gillingham completed a third straight win in League 1 at high-flying Scunthorpe.

Lee Martin fired the Gills infront but it was all-square early in the second half with a goal from Josh Morris.

Josh Parker restored Gillingham’s lead and Tom Eaves put the Gills 3-1 up.

Tom Eaves celebrates his goal at Scunthorpe Picture: Ady Kerry
Tom Eaves celebrates his goal at Scunthorpe Picture: Ady Kerry

Reaction: Spirit shines through for Gills boss

The Gills went into the game unbeaten in six but were up against a Scunthorpe side who had lost just once in their previous 14.

New loan signing Callum Reilly went straight into Gills’ starting line-up, replacing injured Scott Wagstaff.

Reilly was involved in the opener, winning the ball after a poor pass from Charlie Goode before finding Josh Parker, who in turn laid it off for the captain to fire home from 12 yards.

Neal Bishop headed Scunthorpe’s best chance wide prior to the 25 minute Gills goal, missing the target from Josh Morris’ superb cross.

New signing Callum Reilly in action Picture: Ady Kerry
New signing Callum Reilly in action Picture: Ady Kerry

Tom Eaves had put a good chance wide for the visitors too.

It took a fantastic block from Gabriel Zakuani to deny Goode a chance to reprieve himself just a minute before the interval.

Before the break there was a moment of controversy as Josh Parker brought Hakeeb Adelakun down on the edge of the box. Many in the crowd felt the offence was inside the box and the resulting free-kick was cleared.

Scunthorpe started the second half on the front foot, Adelakun testing Holy early on, Morris hitting a free-kick narrowly over and Tom Hopper denied by the Gills keeper.

It was Morris who levelled on 52 minutes, finding the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Josh Parker takes on Scunthorpe's Murray Wallace Picture: Ady Kerry
Josh Parker takes on Scunthorpe's Murray Wallace Picture: Ady Kerry

Morris almost put Scuthorpe ahead five minutes later as they continued to press, this time his curling effort was turned onto the post and out by Holy.

The Gills had been under intense pressure for 20 minutes before finally getting a grip. Mark Byrne had a shot blocked before Parker got on the end of a pinpoint Luke O’Neill cross to head the visitors back infront with 68 minutes gone.

It was 3-1 to Gills on 73 minutes, a move that started with great work from Reilly to win the ball for the visitors. Bradley Garmston played Eaves in with a delightful throughball and the striker finished well past Rory Watson.

Scunthorpe: Watson, Wallace, Bishop (McGeehan 79mins), Ojo, Adelakun (Novak 79mins), Holmes, Burgess, Goode, Hopper (Toney 61mins), Morris, Van Veen. Subs not used: Kelsey, Townsend, Lewis, McArdle.

Gillingham: Holy, O’Neill, Garmston (Ogilvie 87mins), Ehmer, Zakuani, Hessenthaler, Byrne, Reilly, Martin, Parker, Eaves (Wilkinson 78mins). Subs not used: Nelson, Nugent, Lacey, Oldaker, List.

Attendance: 4,905

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More