Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Tottenham Hotspur 5 Gillingham 0 – EFL Cup match report

Gillingham were soundly beaten by Tottenham on Wednesday night.

Christian Eriksen scored a super goal to put Spurs ahead at the break and they wrapped the game up after the break.

Eriksen doubled the lead shortly after the restart and Vincent Janssen scored a penalty soon after that.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas with a header for Gills Picture: Barry Goodwin
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas with a header for Gills Picture: Barry Goodwin

Josh Onomah made it four and Erik Lamela added a fifth to complete the scoring.

Gillingham had beaten Premier League Watford in the previous round of the EFL Cup but their trip to White Hart Lane was a lot tougher, failing to register a shot on target in the match.

There were two changes for the Gills, with Ryan Jackson back from suspension and returning to right-back, while Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was named in attack.

Spurs made 11 changes from their Premier League game against Sunderland, with full debuts for Harry Winks and Cameron Carter-Vickers. Dutch striker Vincent Janssen, an £18.5million signing, started up front for the home side. Playing behind him was £30m man Erik Lamela.

For Gills boss Justin Edinburgh it was a return to a ground where he had many happy memories as a Spurs player. But on Wednesday night his team were outclassed by superior opposition.

Tottenham took charge of the match from the off, peppering the Gills goal with shots, but most of those were off target.

Eriksen and Lamela had shots saved by Jonathan Bond but his night ended just 15 minutes in, limping off with a groin injury after pulling up following a goal-kick. Stuart Nelson was his replacement.

It proved to be a busy half for Nelson, but Spurs were still struggling to get their eye in. Onomah did get an effort on target but Nelson was equal to it.

Emmanuel Osadabe in action against Spurs. Picture: Barry Goodwin
Emmanuel Osadabe in action against Spurs. Picture: Barry Goodwin

Gillingham were being pushed deep into their own territory and the deadlock was broken in spectacular fashion on 31 minutes. Danish attacking midfielder Eriksen fired in a shot from 25 yards, with the shot dipping just under the bar.

The only effort of the half from the Gills came from Emmanuel-Thomas as he headed a Ryan Jackson throw wide.

Just before the break Deji Oshilaja had to clear off the line from Janssen, who after that put a couple more efforts wide.

Gillingham’s hopes of getting back into the game were wiped out in the opening minutes of the second half.

Eriksen ran onto a ball from Lamela to slot home his second of the night in the 48th minute. Three minutes later Janssen netted from the spot after Oshilaja tripped Kieran Trippier in the area.

Lamela fired wide just after the hour mark as the hosts continued to dominate.

It was 4-0 after 65 minutes. Josh Wright lost possession and Lamela found Onomah who squeezed the ball home.

A fifth goal arrived three minutes later with Argentine playmaker Lamela latching onto a ball from Janssen and tucking it away past Nelson.

The Gills sub keeper prevented Tottenham from scoring a sixth in injury time with a fine save to deny Marcus Edwards.

Tottenham: Vorm, Trippier, Carter-Vickers, Wimmer, Davies (Walkes 80mins), Carroll, Winks, Lamela, Onomah, Eriksen (Nkoudou 60mins), Janssen (Edwards 75mins). Subs not used: Whiteman, Vertonghen, Wanyama, Son.

Gillingham: Bond (Nelson 15mins), Jackson, Konchesky, Ehmer, Oshilaja, Byrne, Wright, Osadebe, Dack (Knott 80mins), Emmanuel-Thomas (Wagstaff 60mins), McDonald. Subs not used: Pask, Oldaker, List, Donnelly.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More