Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Gillingham assistant manager Paul Raynor says no concrete offers in place for out of contract players

Gillingham are still hoping to re-sign captain Max Ehmer despite interest from elsewhere.

Assistant manager Paul Raynor admitted on Monday, in an interview with the club, that nothing concrete has been offered to Ehmer, despite negotiations of a new deal taking place.

Max Ehmer heads on under pressure from Tom Hopper against Lincoln City last season Picture: Ady Kerry
Max Ehmer heads on under pressure from Tom Hopper against Lincoln City last season Picture: Ady Kerry

Regan Charles-Cook had also held talks without an offer being made and he looks set to move on.

Ehmer played as captain under manager Steve Evans last season and started every league game. Bristol Rovers have been heavily linked and a report in the Bristol Post suggested the German had rejected a contract offer.

That offer is yet to come, Raynor said.

“We have had positive chats with Max,” said the Gills assistant boss.

“Hopefully in the next few days we can put something concrete to him. He has been told in no uncertain terms how much we value him and how much we would love him to stay.”

Ehmer is one of a handful of players with expiring deals. Charles-Cook was one, along with Brandon Hanlan and Mika Mandron.

Raynor said: “Negotiations are ongoing. We spoke to the guys last week, we had them at the stadium, we wanted them to stay and they indicated how much they enjoyed it.

“At the moment hands are tied regarding budgets, we understand that, the chairman is not in a position to give us a concrete figure we can work with but we have certainly indicated to those guys that we very much value and want them as part of our squad and would love to work with them next season as well.”

Asked about the interest from Rovers in their skipper, he said: “Of course he is going to attract interest, good players always are, that goes for Mika Mandron and Brandon and young Henry Woods has done well.

“We wanted to keep Regan, these guys have got interest because they have done well.”

The Gills are waiting on a date for a new season before concrete offers can be made. The EFL are due to hold a meeting with clubs this week regarding the topic of a potential restart.

Raynor said: “Until we get that date we fully appreciate that we can’t do anything concrete. It doesn’t stop us working, it doesn’t stop us getting our heads together on who we like. We are obviously scouring the released list and watching clips of every player that has been mentioned to us that might be of interest.

“When we do start we are confident of having a competitive squad like we did have last season.”

*The Gills will face Northampton Town next season after they beat Exeter City 4-0 in the League 2 play-off final at Wembley on Monday night.

Northampton's team included former Dover and Gills keeper Steve Arnold, ex-Gillingham loanee Michael Harriman and striker Harry Smith who played for Sevenoaks, Sittingbourne and Folkestone before moving into the Football League.

Joe Martin, who spent five years at Priestfield was also in the winning squad while Mark Marshall - who started with the Gills this season - was involved from the bench.

They join Swindon, Crewe and Plymouth in being promoted into League 1.

More on the Gills


More by this author


This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More