Home   Medway   Sport   Article

Yeovil Town 1 Gillingham 2 - match report

A mix up at the back lets in Brennan Dickenson to score Gills' opener Picture: Ady Kerry
A mix up at the back lets in Brennan Dickenson to score Gills' opener Picture: Ady Kerry

Aaron Morris struck the winner for Gillingham as they claimed a first round Capital Cup victory over Yeovil.

Brennan Dickenson had put the Gills ahead midway through the first half.

Simon Gillett levelled the scores but three minutes later Morris put the Gills back infront.

Yeovil played the last third with 10 men when Seth Twumasi was red carded for a late challenge.

The hosts pressed for a way back into the game but the Gills hung onto their lead to claim a place in round two.

Gills boss Peter Taylor made five changes to his starting XI, in part due to injuries and also to rest others following a hectic start to the season.

Among those included in the team was 20-year-old Josh Hare, making his first senior appearance.

Taylor opted to play wing-backs, with Hare and Joe Martin out wide with John Egan, Leon Legge and Kortney Hause in central defence. Yeovil played a similar 5-3-2 formation.

Both teams started their League 1 campaign with a loss and were keen for a pick-me-up in the first round of the Capital One Cup.

Glenn Morris was making his first start for the Gills, replacing injured Stuart Nelson in goal and he made a couple of great saves in the opening half.

Seth Twumasi was denied early on but the best save of the half came from striker Kieffer Moore. His low and powerful shot was turned wide by the Moore’s fingertips. Yeovil also had a chance from Aaron Martin cleared off the line by Leon Legge.

It was home defender Martin who was at fault for Gills’ opening goal. He attempted to shield the ball back for keeper Artur Krysiak, who was unwilling to pick it up, after seeing it take a touch from his own man on the way back to goal.

As the two Yeovil men collided amid the confusion, Dickenson nipped in and stroked the ball home in the 23 minutes.

Doug Loft had a volley saved late in the half by Krysiak as the Gills held onto their lead at the break.

Dickenson was replaced at the break by Antonio German. The striker had picked up a knock in the first half, a first half where he had looked bright and energetic.

Yeovil levelled with a free-kick. The ball was played into the path of Gillett and he blasted it home from 20 yards in the 56 minute.

Just three minutes later and the Gills were back infront. Aaron Morris was given time and space on the ball and he picked his spot, drilling a low shot past Krysiak from 25 yards.

It got worse for the home side on 62 minutes when Seth Twumasi – making his first start for Yeovil - was sent off for a late challenge on Luke Norris.

The hosts were twice denied by Morris, as they looked for a second equaliser. He made blocks from home skipper Joseph Edwards and wide-man Nathan Smith.

Yeovil: Krysiak, Smith, Edwards, Martin, Sokolik, Berrett (Leitch-Smith 53mins), Hayter (Ralph 68mins), Moore (Hoskins 77mins), Twumasi, Nugent, Gillett. Subs: Weale, Moloney, Foley, Hoskins, Lanzoni.

Gillingham: G Morris, Martin, Egan, Hause, Legge, Loft, A Morris, Norris (Kedwell 77mins), Hare, Dack, Dickenson (German 46mins). Subs: Hessenthaler, Pritchard, Davies, McKain, Hadler.

Attendance: 2,283 (191 Gills)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More