Home   News   Charities   Article

Have-a-go heroes gear up for Big Bike Ride

Staff and supporters of a Kent disabilities charity have mobilised a team of have-a-go cycling heroes to take part in the KM Big Bike Ride next month.

Brett Martin is doing the KM Big Bike Ride for Martha Trust (31718302)
Brett Martin is doing the KM Big Bike Ride for Martha Trust (31718302)

The Martha Trust team include Brett Martin, pictured, whose daughter is a resident at the trust’s care home in Hacklinge near Deal.

Brett said: “I’m completing this ride because although it will be tough, I am at least able to try.

“People like my daughter who live at Martha Trust wouldn’t be able to even attempt this challenge.

“I am hoping to include her on the day in some way.”

Brett will be accompanied by a number of other Martha Trust cyclists, including the charity’s fundraising and events officer Kerry Banks BEM.

Kerry said: “I am incredibly proud of all our cyclists who have signed upincluding myself and my husband.

“We would really encourage anyone else to sign up and come and join us to raise vital monies for Martha Trust.

“The monies raised will go towards the care and activities of our truly special residents with profound disabilities.”

The ride takes place on Sunday, April 26. Participants can choose between a 100K route for sportive riders and a 50K route for leisure riders and charity fundraisers with a reasonable level of fitness.

Both routes begin and finish at Betteshanger Park near Deal, and take riders through the beautiful east Kent countryside.

You can take part to raise money for a charity of your choice or just for pleasure.

Nominated charities will receive 70 per cent of any sponsorship money raised, and the remaining 30% will be used to fund the KM Charity Team’s green-travel and literacy work with schools.

Bookings for the Bike Ride cost £30, with mid-ride refreshments, sportive photos taken during the ride, timing chips, and goody bags and medals included in the price.

Riders must be aged over 12, and anyone aged under 17 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.

Besides Betteshanger Park, the challenge is supported by key partner Vattenfall, SE Medical and Whitstable bike shop Herberts Cycles, which will provide a free bike MOT for riders taking part.

See www.kmcharityteam.co.uk/challenge/bikeride/ for bookings and further information.

  • The scheduling of this event is subject to any alterations that may be necessary due to the coronavirus outbreak. The KM Charity Team will keep people informed if any changes need to be made.
Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More