Smugglers are strictly not welcome at a historic property now on the market in Goudhurst.
In 1747, Goudhurst House, on the village’s High Street, was a poor house run by former soldier ‘General’ George Sturt and became the nerve-centre of the village’s resistance to the violent Hawkhurst Gang of smugglers, bandits and highwaymen.
Now on the market with Jackson-Stops is a first floor apartment within the Grade II-listed building, priced at £355,000.
The three-bedroom apartment still has the far-reaching views over surrounding countryside, once essential for smuggler surveillance. But nowadays, there is a large double aspect sitting room with exposed beams and a cosy wood burner.
The brand new kitchen has integrated appliances including washing machine and dishwasher and leads to a balcony.
The apartment has its own access via an external staircase and has its own pretty garden. There is a rose arbour and a shed.
Off-road parking is provided at the front of the building.
During the 1747 battle with the smugglers, women and children were sent to the safety of neighbouring villages while the Goudhurst Militia, led by Sturt, fought the murderous gang and drove them far away from their hideouts.
The ‘Battle of Goudhurst’ led to executions of gang members and is regarded as an important part of the gang’s eventual demise.
To view the apartment, ring the agent on 01580 720000